General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 CBR600RR knocking

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 CBR600RR knocking

Took my 06 CBR600 to shop to get full service
valve adjustment
oil change
new spark plugs
chain adjust
etc
got it back last friday and went for a ride this morning and it’s started to knock on me 😪😢 took it back to shop that did the service and they trying to charge me $300+ just to open it up and see what’s wrong since they said it couldn’t be there fault since when they drained the old there was metal pieces in it saying it could be the rod gave up, bike only has 16k+ miles did I get ****ed over? New rider here needing some opinion of what to do

Old 05-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Samaniego
Took my 06 CBR600 to shop to get full service
valve adjustment
oil change
new spark plugs
chain adjust
etc
got it back last friday and went for a ride this morning and it’s started to knock on me 😪😢 took it back to shop that did the service and they trying to charge me $300+ just to open it up and see what’s wrong since they said it couldn’t be there fault since when they drained the old there was metal pieces in it saying it could be the rod gave up, bike only has 16k+ miles did I get ****ed over? New rider here needing some opinion of what to do
Was there metal in the oil when they did the full service before the knocking? If so they were you told? Usually metal in the oil is indication of some serious trouble inside if it’s not an engine being broken in. You shouldn’t have ridden it after that.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ceebeeaarguy
Was there metal in the oil when they did the full service before the knocking? If so they were you told? Usually metal in the oil is indication of some serious trouble inside if it’s not an engine being broken in. You shouldn’t have ridden it after that.
nope was not inform, they didn’t tell me anything all they said it was good to go, I’m guessing they did something wrong while getting service, I don’t want to pay them $300 for them to fix the problem the caused, bike had no problem till I took it to them, now can’t even used it anymore 😪

Old 05-16-2018, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so tell them they should have told you about the metal shavings in the oil. Riding an engine in that condition accelerated the demise. THey should fix it either for free or at a discounted rate.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^ I gotta agree that there is most likely a bad rod bearing and they should have told you about the metal the oil. The unfortunate thing is that you can't prove they did anything wrong other than not telling you the engine is toast. They don't work for free so, yes expect to pay to have them pull it apart.

You say it started to knock while you were riding it, that says it wasn't knocking while they had it. Also, you say you are new to riding, I take it that you purchased the bike used. If the previous owner was doing wheelies, standing a bike up on the rear wheel can cause the oil pickup not to deliver oil to the mains and rod caps. That may have caused the original wear on the bearings and then they fail while you were riding.

Unfortunately, there may not be a happy ending here. It would cheaper to replace the engine yourself than have them pull it apart and fine that they need to replace it.
If it is knocking with metal in the oil, I'd say new bearings and crank at a minimum.