General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 600rr oil light comes on and shuts the bike off please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 600rr oil light comes on and shuts the bike off please help

I was riding the other day and my bike started to stutter and the oil light came on and i shut the bike off right away. Then i checked the oil level it was a little low and put some more oil in the bike, then rode the bike a mile back home and it stutered again and died. I got home did an oil change, and there was plenty of oil in the bike, i then noticed there wasnt much coolant and put some in. I am stumped and if any one has any idea what could be my problem please help. I just bought the bike a few days ago.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well. it sounds to me like you may have an electrical problem bud. I would check your battery then your connections. Next if those passed check your voltage with the battery in the bike with the key out of the ingition. (Voltage should not drop) If the draw test passes you need to start the bike and see if it is charging correctly. With the bike off you should have around 13 volts. With it started it should drop a little then come back up. Many of these bikes are max voltage at 5,000 rpm. It should be any where between 13.5-15.5 volts at peak charging power. if these pass it is a problem somewhere else. More common trouble areas i have found are:
-Kick stand Switch
-Bad grounds
-Starter cylanoid (sorry brain cannot spell if incorrect)
-Handle buttons (horn, kill switch. turn signals and starter) (These are often corroded when riding in the rain and present their own unique issues)

I have recently rebuilt my 600 f4i and most of the issues above where in my own bike. lol. Proud to say it runs beautifully now and i look forwards to a summer of awsome biking adventures. (ps. check your whole bike for oil and coolant leaks. Not really goint to cause your bike to shut off unless really bad but they are never good to have.)
Hope i helped.