General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 F4I Throttle stuck/injectors open

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 F4I Throttle stuck/injectors open

Greetings all, not sure how to classify this yet, but here goes. After waiting at a construction zone then passing a few cars I was cruising along with nobody in front of me for at least 20 miles. I let go of the throttle and the bike didn't slow down. I went a few miles up the road into town since I know the road was clear and I could look at it there and use the pay-phone. I couldn't seem to fix it and had to get someone to pick me and the bike up 220 miles from home.

Symptoms:
Bike revs to 13k almost instantly if it is turned on, will cruise at 90mph without even twisting the throttle.
Throttle itself is not sticking and the intake butterflys open and close smoothly.
It seems to be running very rich and smells of gas when it is started.
If Throttle position sensor 3P is unplugged and the ECU doesn't know how far the throttle is open it still revs up.
TP sensor 3P has 5V on the hot, 0V on the ground, and 0V on the sensor wire, suggesting its not a short causing the ECU to think the throttle is open.

I'm not sure what else to look at just yet and if anybody has any ideas on how to help diagnose the problem that would be great. If I can't figure it out over the long weekend I'll end up having to bring it into town this week. As a sidenote its been 100% reliable since getting it last year, and I've been enjoying every bit of the short Alaskan riding season since then. Thanks for all your help, ride hard