Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with CBR Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better CBRF? Tell us here. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR BIKE HERE.

Senior status if kinda lame

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior status if kinda lame

That is a little lame to have a forum that is only fully useable to those who spend more time on here than actually riding a bike. I love having forums for all the motorized sports I do; they help me out all the time and I return the favor to others.

This is the only site I have been to that has such a high bar in order to post in a classifieds section. I have been on the snowmobile snowest forums for several years, spending countless hours reading, and still haven't achieved more than 100 posts! Yet I am still subject to all the advertising which pays for everything.

I understand that forums want to keep out people that create an account only to sell something and then never return again, but there are those of us who are looking up information from others more than posting and we actually search for old threads versus creating a new one that would cover the same topic. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to push away potential members for extreme rules.

Just my 2 cents and hey I got another post. I will make senior status on here by the time I am a senior in real life. The site is great other than that lame rule which only supports pc riders.

Nate

Old 07-11-2009, 01:44 PM

I agree. I have been a member on here for over 2 years and just because I mainly read the forums and dont post mindless babble Im not allowed to post a for sale thread until 100 posts.

Only 7 more posts and Im allowed to sell on here...YAY!

Old 07-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Being admin on other sites I completely understand, and I see more sites like this than not. Got to think this is a free site that gets you any information you want but that information just doesn't appear, people have to put it there. So in turn of you getting to sell on this site you must help the cause. Thats just how it is.. And like said above you don't want people just signing up to sell stuff, this isn't craigslist.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:32 PM

so moderate the classifieds, and not the people.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a little lame to have a forum that is only fully useable to those who spend more time on here than actually riding a bike.

That's purely your own opinion....................I ride my bike year round and probably 3-4 days a week and Sundays..............and before you say something about "oh you have more time than I do" - I'm a criminal court Judge...............

Got to think this is a free site that gets you any information you want but that information just doesn't appear, people have to put it there. So in turn of you getting to sell on this site you must help the cause. Thats just how it is..

That's just it - if people were to put up 5 posts a day, in the huge number of areas we cover, you'd be a senior member in under 3 weeks.........

and just because I mainly read the forums and don't post mindless babble Im not allowed to post a for sale thread until 100 posts.

You just take, with minimal give. Sure there's mindless babble, but you still keep coming here to read it, but there's a lot of sensible stuff too, that takes a long time to put together, like how to's and the like........Maybe if you were only allowed to read the same number of posts as you contribute, that would be OK ?

I understand that forums want to keep out people that create an account only to sell something and then never return again, but there are those of us who are looking up information from others more than posting and we actually search for old threads versus creating a new one that would cover the same topic. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to push away potential members for extreme rules.

It's not an attempt to push people away at all, but if you allow people to post whatever they want wherever they feel like it, we'd lose a helluva lot more people, who are prepared to improve the site, as a resource to do your own work on your bike, and talk to others of like mind, etc etc. If potential members are coming here to only sell bikes and parts, we don't need them anyway, they are just leeches.

so moderate the classifieds, and not the people.

How do you suggest we do this, when people post the classifieds......?

In closing, being a Mod on a Forum like this, and the Mod who kills off most of the classifieds that don't fit the rules as laid down by the owner of the site
(which he pays for out of his own pocket by the way) if you have any ideas which are workable I'd be happy to hear them.

I'd have a lot more time to be riding if the other Mods and I didn't have to spend so much time keeping order here.

Last edited by Shadow; 07-12-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:09 AM

You would have to look at it from a different point of view criminal court judge. What if it took 20,000 posts before you could start threads in every section on here? Would you have a different point of view? You obviously like spending more time on here than I do and there is nothing wrong with that.

I just think a lot of people could benefit from more classifieds. Why not create two sections of classifieds, one for those of only senior status and another for everyone one here, and see which one gets more visits?

That is the other dumb thing about forums, someone will express an opinion and there will ALWAYS be another to argue it.

Quote: That's just it - if people were to put up 5 posts a day, in the huge number of areas we cover, you'd be a senior member in under 3 weeks.........

And I can argue this one . So now you are going to have people posting even when they really don't care to just to make their numbers increase? But atleast they are spending more time on here which helps sell advertising space. And you can't honestly say that this site is paid for from the owners pocket. If there was no advertising on here at all, then I might be inclined to agree.

Too bad these long posts don't count for more Senior status points.

P.S. - I think that is awesome that a court judge rides a CBR, I always stereotyped them as bookworms, but in Shadow's case, I will have to make an exception. And it is not to say that just because someone posts a lot on here means they don't ride enough, it just means they enjoy being around the sport at all times, even when they can't be riding. But it does mean that those are choosing to sit at a computer and type about riding vs. spending that time on two wheels.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What people forget is that a forum is owned and operated by a handful of people. It is their forum. Participation is not a right but a privilege.

That privilege is freely given to each member who signs up. Because it is a privilege it can be revoked if you do not hold up your end of the bargain. It is a very similar agreement between parent and child - if the child does not pick up after themselves they loose other privileges.

What this forum has is a large body of people who generally co-operate and help each other. Most of the content is fantastic, however, there are people who come to these forums and use them. They do not put anything back in, they have not intention of coming back and saying thank you, discussing what worked and what did not. They use the forum. They do not put anything back and so when others try to search for previous solutions they don't find them. They aren't documented.

The 100 post minimum is pretty low. If you participate for part of a season you'll have that many posts. You don't always have to be posting the answer, you can be posting your obverations and problems. The difference between a user and a member is that the member participates - if they have a problem with their bike, they ask, they get answers, they reply and say oooh - that worked, or no, that didn't work and try to explain more. That interaction is important. Later you have the knowledge to explain it to someone else... the member will read that post and reply with their story and what worked for them. The member puts something back in.

The classifieds was getting abused horribly. One-time posters would post up and disappear. Someone with 100 posts is unlikely to disappear. The 100 post cap also filters out a lot of the people who tried to spam/scam. This protects the forum members from a lot of people who are either up to no good, or could be flakey sellers.

So - I completely understand why this 100 post cap was implemented... and I hope my thoughts on it change your mind. Don't think of it as a slap in the face, see it as a privilege to earn, and in short order you'll be there.

--

I'm an admin over on a different forum. One of the regular posters was doing a circular route of North America. His motorcycle broke down 400-500 miles away from my house. I picked him up with my trailer and over the past two weeks we have rebuilt the motor. He'll be back on the road shortly. Now - who would you rather have in your house, the one post wonder, or the respected long time member? Membership has its perks and they aren't always obvious.