CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Forum Help & Suggestion Center (https://cbrforum.com/forum/forum-help-suggestion-center-8/)
-   -   A major site suggestion (https://cbrforum.com/forum/forum-help-suggestion-center-8/major-site-suggestion-144474/)

BorderLineAlaska 02-01-2013 11:09 AM

A major site suggestion

Let me start by saying I love this site. It's been more helpful to me than any instruction manual or textbook. And Ive never had a negative experience, all the users/mods are very friendly and helpful.

That being said, the website and it's interface could use some work.

It seems like the sub-forums and categories are very cluttered. There are so many sub-forums it's unreal(they are all very helpful though!)

That being said it takes much more time to search for specific topics, not that it matters but an organized interface and easy to use forums is what attracts users. And although I have no problem navigating, as I am a computer savvy person, I can see it being frustrating for somebody working on a bike, attempting to fish through a "wall of words" that is the list of forums and sub-forums.

It's not hard to tell that there really is no need for this, many of these sub-forums are frequented by users so little(1-3 users viewing at almost all times)

If needed, I could suggest sub-forums to merge together..

Whether this was to happen or not, I would still visit this site.

Shadow 02-02-2013 10:25 AM

I can see it being frustrating for somebody working on a bike, attempting to fish through a "wall of words" that is the list of forums and sub-forums.

Thanks for your comments
Most of the Mods/Admins will help out if you're looking for a specific item, just put your question up in the right/wrong place :) and someone will point you in the right direction to find what you're looking for. The members are generally a very helpful bunch :)
As regards the sub-forums - they've been split up on a basis of usage - certain sections like the Hurricane sections have a good number because they are used frequently by a good number of members and casual visitors. Other sections perhaps a little less so, so less sub-sections. We have found that what we have currently seems to work quite well, but if you have specific suggestions, let us hear them and we'll look into making changes.
Again thanks for the positive views.

chainstretcher 02-02-2013 12:05 PM

All of the sub-forums were requested by members. Example: we had one for sale section ... talk about hard to navigate. Even with a specific search you had to wade through a bunch of crap (cuz not everyone puts specific info in their post and the search engine can't read minds). So a suggestion was made to have a bike specific sales section in the F4i forum. Worked well and was used as a model for some other sections.

Like Pete said, if you have a specific area you think would benefit from consolidation let us know. Personally, I think every bike model should have its own "general tech" section but we don't have enough usage to justify it yet.

Sprock 02-03-2013 07:44 PM

That being said it takes much more time to search for specific topics

Well Here's an Added Simplified Quick Searching Tip :

A Google specific query can yield pages & pages from the Forum - of Forum specific results too
when searching

for example :

"cbr 1000f fork tube diameter site:cbrforum.com"

Plug that example (without " ") into Google and you'll get pages of very CBRForum specific results, only.

Use it a lot myself in addition to the Forum search mechanism

This can be applied to any site specific search you want to make , the pointer / qualifier being . Query (space) "site:URL"
not just CBRForum.com

Some more Handy Search Stuff

Sebastionbear1 02-03-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 1214838)
Well Here's an Added Simplified Quick Searching Tip :

A Google specific query can yield pages & pages from the Forum - of Forum specific results too
when searching

for example :

"cbr 1000f fork tube diameter site:cbrforum.com"

Plug that example (without " ") into Google and you'll get pages of very CBRForum specific results, only.

Use it a lot myself in addition to the Forum search mechanism

This can be applied to any site specific search you want to make , the pointer / qualifier being . Query (space) "site:URL"
not just CBRForum.com

Some more Handy Search Stuff

Geek :D

Cheers, SB

PS: I do excactly that :icon_couchhide:

Sprock 02-04-2013 05:42 PM

^

:D bs artist :D

& no ya don't you iz telling porky pies

Sebastionbear1 02-04-2013 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 1214973)
^

:D bs artist :D

& no ya don't you iz telling porky pies

I'm like a politician, you can tell I'm lying by the simple expedient of listening.

If I'm talking, I'm lying :D

Cheers, SB