CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Forum Help & Suggestion Center (https://cbrforum.com/forum/forum-help-suggestion-center-8/)
-   -   37 Failed Login Attempts since 7am this morning! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/forum-help-suggestion-center-8/37-failed-login-attempts-since-7am-morning-118602/)

OutlawF4 11-12-2010 04:35 PM

37 Failed Login Attempts since 7am this morning!

This is great. How do other website owners track down people who hack their sites?? I doubt they just let it go on until something catastrophic happens to their website or their info contained within the website. Everybody says, "they are just spammers but if that was the case exactly then why wouldnt they just sign up under an alias(computer or not)and then do their spamming?? Got to be something more to it guys. Just like with anything, if you do it long enough, they will get it hacked eventually. It could be identity theft theives and not spammers. My question is for the Admin...do you know of any hacks that have happened here and has resulted in somebodys identitys being stolen as a result?? And, cant you(ever who owns this site) hire somebody to find these hackers(computer or human)??? Or what actions are you taking to ensure members info and your site is secure??:icon_shrug: Its starting to worry me, I know that.

RoadiJeff 11-12-2010 05:51 PM

Identity theft? Although I'm sure this continual attempted hacking into our accounts is annoying I can't think of any information that someone could get off my account on here if they were to hack my password. I don't recall leaving my SSN, address or any other personal info on here when I registered and if anyone wants to read my profile and see what my hobbies are I welcome them to do it.

OutlawF4 11-12-2010 06:55 PM

If they can hack into this account, why cant they hack right into your computer via through proxy of this account?? They probably cant hook-up with your computer unless through a thrird party(a website). The means may be a website to where your computer is directly hooked up with their(a website such as this one) server to link directly with your computer??? Theres got to be more to it than just spammers trying to take over your account for 10 minutes to post ads. And would like to mention, will get you banned under your existing name and your account wiped out.

regener8ed 11-12-2010 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawF4 (Post 987069)
If they can hack into this account, why cant they hack right into your computer via through proxy of this account?? They probably cant hook-up with your computer unless through a thrird party(a website). The means may be a website to where your computer is directly hooked up with their(a website such as this one) server to link directly with your computer???

don't panic about that - it doesn't work that way.

Kuroshio 11-12-2010 07:41 PM

Vastly overestimating the average "hacker's" capabilities OutlawF4. And I use the word "hacker" extremely loosely in reference to the people behind the attempted logins.

True hackers ate every operating systems' security for breakfast in less than a day: Pwn2Own 2010: Browsers and iPhone Get Pwned! Google Chrome was the only browser still standing after the first day at that event. And one guy hacked into the iPhone via Mobile Safari

The whoever is behind these attempts either isn't trying or isn't skilled enough to get access to your account. A brute force hack attempt (which these are) is the potentially longest, the least skilled and definitely most cumbersome method of gaining access to an account on any system. Unless your password is 123456, it can take years to break a single account. Or, according to a password cracker's estimation of my password, over 5 million years.

A real hacker wouldn't bother with attacking individual user accounts. A real hacker would attempt to gain access to the forum administration software, thereby gaining access to all user accounts and information. A real hacker wouldn't use brute force attempts.

And this "hacker", the one behind the login attempts, is accomplishing exactly what he wants: annoy people in the user base. If I were of a malicious mindset, the people I'd target would be those that complain the most.

Who better to annoy than those already annoyed?

Sprock 11-12-2010 07:53 PM

Yep effectively nothing more than mental self gratification ! with this gig outlaw.

They have more chance of jumping through your home cable or dsl router and
to give you worries than actually doing anything through/with this kind of stupidity.

Mostly eastern block spam launchers imo

OutlawF4 11-12-2010 08:28 PM

So Kuro, you think these hackers sit on this forum and get all the nitty gritty of this forum?? Who complaining and who isnt?? That sounds like an inference to an inside job??

Kuroshio 11-12-2010 08:38 PM

I think they see a thread titled "37 Failed Login Attempts since 7am this morning!" or "Can someone please stop this moron!" and know who'll be annoyed the most. These forums are public to non-registered members yanno?

Seriously now it'd literally be quicker to pick someone, do a little research based on their posts or profile (we've all left enough personal info in various threads) on Facebook, walk to their home city, search for that person, put a gun to their head and a laptop in their hands and say "Login now!" than to brute force a strong password on a forum that only allows 5 tries(?) before temp banning the IP for 15 minutes.

So if there's no real hope of breaking a person's password, why continue to do it?

OutlawF4 11-12-2010 08:50 PM

They see that AFTERWARDS sure. So they are hacking to annoy you say. Hacking to annoy? Hacking to disrupt Ive heard before. Never heard that before. Ok. Why not ban the IP forever instead of 15 min.?? And for the last statement, I dont know, why do they continue?? Its been happening since day 3 of me signing up.

OutlawF4 11-12-2010 09:08 PM

And if I was quietude, Id be complaining too since she got hacked and her account shut down and everything lost. Thats one of the two your referring to. And yup, Im the other. Im just "complaining" B4 I get hacked instead of after being hacked as she did.