F4i - Wanted Need a part to get going again or just modifying, post it here.

Crankshaft needle roller bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft needle roller bearing

Hey guys , i am searching for the crank shaft needle roller bearing but its not in stock everywhere, if any one of you has it pls let me know.

any one of these will do

91021-MBW-J21 BEARING (30X41X21) $18.36

91021-MBW-003 BEARING (30X41X21) $30.73

Old 12-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Sodah,
you're probably not going to find this in stock with almost all dealers. It not a regular service item and probably only gets asked for once in a blue moon. Generally though if you order a part from any Honda or even an independent dealer it won't take long to arrive.
Have you asked the dealers how long it would take to be delivered from where ever the part is within Honda's supply chain?
Out of interest (and me not being familiar with the 600 F4 engine) what does this bearing actually do and why do you suspect it's at fault?
I have read your previous posts about engine noise but have not been able to offer any useful advice so far.
I'm interested to hear how you manage to keep a CBR in good shape in India.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:15 AM

Hey thanks for the reply ! I found one bearing in the UK with an ebay seller who stocks New Old Stock item and had to pay him double the price which i would pay in the US. Spoke to all the honda parts dealers in the US and they ask minimum 6-8weeks time for delivery
Well its not easy to maintain and upkeep superbikes in India, one can survive only if he can source parts from the UK or the US or is exceptionally rich to pay 100% import duty on the parts value.
this bearing is the crankshaft bearing by the way.

Last edited by sodahyogesh; 12-13-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Glad you found your bearing Sodah.
For future reference it's always worth trying David Silver Spares - Parts For Honda Motorcycles - HOME.
They carry a fair bit of new old stock and are good at sourcing hard to find items without too much delay.

I looked at the drawing of your crank assembly again and am still slightly puzzled. You say this is a crankshaft bearing but there are the usual split shells and then this needle roller bearing apparently mounted on the crank right next to the outer one. Without seeing further expanded diagrams I remain sceptical that this is in fact a crankshaft support bearing. Why would that be positioned adjacent to a split shell main bearing. It doesn't make sense. There doesn't appear to be one at the other end, just the cam sprocket.
Someone put me out of my misery. What is this bearing doing there?
What makes you want to replace it Sodah?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:59 PM

here is the pic of the crankshaft with the bearing. Yes the split shells are also going to be replaced.
the reason to replace these is the same, rattle on deacceleration.

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft needle roller bearing-_57.jpg  

Last edited by sodahyogesh; 12-15-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:05 AM

The outer needle roller bearing surface is missing in your photo. Seeing your picture just causes more mystery in my mind.
I take it you made a note of the colour codes on the original main bearing shells and those of the crankshaft to order the correct size replacements. They are not cheap.
While you are doing this you should also renew the big end shells too. That will make a difference for sure and rule out any wear in those. A set of big end shells is around £100 so you're going to be digging deep into your pocket to do both sets but in my view it's not worth not doing both.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:30 AM

Which outer surface man? yes the C shells are ordered as per the color combi.
Whats the big end shells?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Big end shells are the ones that connect the con rods to the crank. They wear faster than the main bearings due to the forces of reciprocation. You've already got the con rods off so at least check them.

The outer surface of the needle roller I'm referring to is what ever surrounds/houses the rollers. They won't run inside the crank case. A needle roller bearing is a complete assembly. Where's the outer casing and what does it fit into? Like I said, I can't understand the thinking behind placing a plain bearing right next to a needle roller if they're doing the same job. So far, trying to work out what this bearing is for I have managed to find out that the alternator/flywheel fit to the L/H end of the crank and is held in place by the woodruff key and end bolt. So if the bearing runs inside the flywheel I'm even more puzzled. They both rotate together so what's the point of the bearing. I must be missing something.....
C'mon Sodah, what is the bearing actually doing for a living?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Dude i havent opened my engine yet, M in Iraq now. will be back home in India soon and will start working on the bike. In fact it wont me me personally doing it. My Mechanic will be working on it. So far what all we suspect we are gathering. Will keep u guys posted on the progress

Last edited by sodahyogesh; 12-15-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Oh, sorry, I assumed that photo was actually your crank. I didn't realise you'd found a generic.
Well, when you get round to the job we'll be interested to know what you find. Perhaps you can pass on my queries to your mechanic..... food for thought. I'd love to know the answer.
Good luck. Catch you soon.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft needle roller bearing