F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Yikes! blew up a fork seel..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yikes! blew up a fork seel..

I noticed an abundance of oil on my right slider and all around the dust cap. When I ordered the parts today I opted for just oil seals and dust caps. I plan on doing the work myself, so after all the browsing and reading I really just have a couple questions. First I am worried about getting the forks alligned right when mounting them back on the bike. From the best I can tell I need to leave 33mm of slider sticking above the top bridge but, How do I ensure that they are not twisted outward or inward?
Next my LBS says $240+$25 in parts and they will just do it for me. Im not made of money and I feel like I can do it with out to much problem but, is it just worth me paying the money for this type of job?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You *can* do this. Its not rocket-science. You just need good attention-to-detail & able to follow the procedure in the factory service manual.

When you reinstall your forks, the "alignment" will come naturally b/c you'll be reinstalling your axle, which will keep the fork lowers aligned. As for the upper tubes, just make sure the fork caps (top of fork tube) are aligned the same direction in the triple.

Yes, 33mm extension is correct. Use SS-8 fluid. Be sure to measure same amt of fluid for both tubes.

Do you have a Fork Seal Driver? While you don't necessarily need the actual tool, you will most likely need something to seat the seals. You can use the homemade PVC pipe method or simply buy the fork seal driver for about $35-40. You want the 43mm size.

Also, do you have a front stand that lifts by the lower triple? These are the best types of front stands for fork service. You simply lift by the lower triple, remove front calipers, wheel, fender, & have at the forks. The forks are held by lower & upper cinch bolts on the triples. Be sure to have some sort of padding under them when you go to remove them b/c they can drop fast & hard. ;-)

Its not necessary to remove the upper cowl but you will have to remove the your clip-ons. Its no biggie. Simply unbolt & set off to the side while you work on your forks.

Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any more help.