F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Yamahonda CBR F4i lol...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:57 PM
July 2010 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bc its inverted doesnt mean its better. for stoppies its better bc of the increased stiffness. for general riding it might be etterr, its a little softer but u dont corner as good slower and u loose steering lock and steering stops. for all out racing it sucks bc it changes the geometry just barely and u dont want any changes in handling for a track bike-just wanted to clear that up in case some noobs get in here.

but skameigh, looks good!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a better performing set-up, straight up.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by OutlawF4
If I had some, they would definately be replacing my stock F4 forks, 10 times better performance.
lol just buy my 1000rr set up?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by skameigh
In my f4i forks I even had them resprung with rachtech springs and these forks are still stiffer which suit me better (track wise at least) and being inverted makes them 200x better than the f4i forks. the average rider probably wouldnt notice the difference but anyone who tracks or hardcore knee dragging street riding will say its a huge improvement.
I'd consider myself a hardcore knee dragder and I have stock F4i froks with racetech springs ....works just fine..... i can ride my trusty F4i with old conventional forks, better than my buddies on newer sportbikes....

Inverted forks does'nt make the rider or bike better.... The factory Honda Guys were racing on the conventional forks on the F4 and F4i's

Last edited by xtremef4i; 11-07-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who races on a professional level a F4 or F4i??

Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 PM
July 2010 ROTM

back in 01 the f4i was THE bike and it didnt have inverted forks, it wasnt designed for it, so chopping and putting them on doesnt make it better

but if your racing and want to take the f4i to the highest level, u want to leave the conventional forks on it or u risk changing the rake and trail and other geometry. just like the prolink off the rr is a much nicer set up, but putting it on the prolink on the f4i means adding 1 in on the wheelbase of the f4i to get it to fit, and the longer wheelbase will not improve handling

Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 AM

I took measurements and did lots of research before I did the swap... I was able to keep the bikes geometry the same actually. The wheelbase distance comes to be the exact same also. Now Ill be the first to say, the stock f4i forks with racetech springs are more than what I would need for the track (as of now). Main reason I swapped was to have something different and because I didn't change the geometry of the bike, it steers roughly the same. Plus with the R1 forks, once I can afford to get them built with Ohlins internals, Im sure they will turn out better than the f4i forks could ever be. Believe it or not but I didnt loose steering stops. They are roughly in the same place and if I were to wreck, I trust my sh*t wouldnt get screwed up any worse than the stock setup. Plus for the record, the R1 forks are the same length as the f4i forks.

Vangill - for all out racing it sucks bc it changes the geometry just barely and u dont want any changes in handling for a track bike
:: Before you throw this out there, Id research it a bit more. I would not say this is a bad idea for a track bike. Plus the whole point of setting up suspension is getting it to fit the suitability of the rider which a lot of times means tweaking the geometry. When I had the stock setup, I had a few washers on the shock mount adding about 8-10mm of rise in the rear end. Helps with turn in and clearance issues on the f4i. If you go out and say, you dont want changes in handling for a track bike, then thats like saying anyone changing something from stock settings is a downgrade. Every rider prefers something different and once I get these forks built at my next track day by the Ohlins guys (probably next season), Ill have to report back.

Just saying after my ride today, I can tell after I get it dialed in, I will like the setup better. To me, I felt more stable in the turns then I did before with my stock setup.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 AM
July 2010 ROTM

Post the year bc the year I had was just barely off and youcould def feel it on mine

Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 AM

There's alot more to suspension than wheelbase. Sag, tube length, spring compression rate, dampening/rebound are all going to be different on the inverted forks. The feeling of "more stable" is most likely due to the increased length of the fork tubes.

It looks great, but for a track/race bike I'd never dare swap another set of forks into my bike.

Just my .02 cents

Last edited by brveagle; 11-08-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM

i believe they are 2001 R1 forks, I measured ride height, wheelbase, and yes, tube length. Tube length are are same. The sag is off right now because I havent had a second or third set up hands to help me set that up for me. The spring rate is right where I need it for my weight in full gear. Rebound/preload/damping all still need to be setup for me but I won't mess with that till I can get it to the track to test out changes.