CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   wrecked f4i (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/wrecked-f4i-117087/)

gonephission 09-29-2010 11:40 PM

wrecked f4i

hey guys,
This is my first post on the forum and I was hoping for some advice. Im trying to get an 06' f4i from a family around where i live. The bike was wrecked. The front end sustained the damage frame and engine are still in good shape. The front wheel, forks, triple, front fairings are all trash. First how much is a bike in this shape worth? Any ideas on the best way to get the parts?

Kuroshio 09-30-2010 12:10 AM

For a wrecked bike that can't be test ridden, I'd say $750. Max $1000.

But I'd seriously pass. Assuming Stl means Seattle, WA, bike prices should be dropping soon with the end of the season.

nickp123 09-30-2010 02:12 AM

yeah agreed. Unless you know for sure that the frame's straight and the engines fine i wouldnt pay over $1000. 1500-2000 MAX and thats pushing it if all you need are a wheel forks and triples and its fine again

Zero1080 09-30-2010 10:40 AM

If it's ONLY the front end, and everything else is mint. 1500. If it's got scratches and marks and bends all over, 750.

But I'm doing a HUGE rebuild on mine, so ask if you have questions.

And guys. STL is St. Louis.

PlayfulGod 09-30-2010 10:43 AM

with whats damaged, the only way to know the frame is good is to have it checked by a pro. My bet is its tweaked in the neck at the least. Even if it is tweaked it can be fixed. I wouldnt pay more than $1k max for it.

crashking 09-30-2010 11:38 AM

yeah i wouldnt pay over a 1k either

I live n jefferson county and commute to downtown STL every day so pm if you ever need help im no pro but im pretty handy in certain areas

gotcbr 09-30-2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by gonephission (Post 972240)
...how much is a bike in this shape worth? Any ideas on the best way to get the parts?

To an insurance company, this is a totaled bike. It would be sold at an insurance auction for whatever it could bring.

For an '06 w/ *only* the damage you describe, the $750 mentioned above, is prob about right.

The thing about situations like this is that you can't always know the extent of the damage, or cost to repair, til you dive into it to actually do repairs. Could it be a worthy project?...sure. It could just as easily be one that you shouldn't do.

As recommended, getting checked by a pro would be preferable. Even then, you need to weigh the cost(s) of repair vs just buying another bike.

I'm all for a good project...if its worthy. Just be sure what you're getting into. To that, you find parts wherever you can...*bay, CL, motorcycle salvage yards, etc.

Zero1080 09-30-2010 12:24 PM

I know the only way they can true a frame is in a rack at the dealership. However, what's the downfall if it's not straight?

nickp123 09-30-2010 01:18 PM

if you have a bent frame it could have a major impact on how the bike steers/handles i.e. it could track to the left or right when riding. it could also effect stability at higher speeds and probably cause the bike to be unpredictable in certain situations, too much at risk. but like gotcbr said its all about weighing the repair cost and bike cost vs getting a non-wrecked one. If youre up for and capable of the project and itd be cheaper to fix this than to get a good condition bike look more into it and have someone who knows what theyre doing check it out then weigh your options

jkmiller25 09-30-2010 06:15 PM

I'm in the same boat. I put mine in a ditch and bent the forks and the front axle. I've been all over this forum and ebay looking for parts. I found an amazing deal on a front end in the F4i parts for sale/trade thread. Got a pretty good deal on parts from partzparts on ebay, but shipping is taking forever.