CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Won't start, new battery and fuel pump primes (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/wont-start-new-battery-fuel-pump-primes-152418/)

aurora_F4i 07-19-2014 09:57 AM

Won't start, new battery and fuel pump primes

I'm stuck. Title says it. Battery died, placed in on trickle charger and got it start just wouldn't stay charged so new battery. Put the new battery in and fuel pump primes and bike cranks over just doesn't start. Yes, headlights work and everything else. I'm stuck...

Side note: don't know if it relates, I tried starting it a couple times without noticing it wasn't in neutral, could it be flooded?

aurora_F4i 07-19-2014 05:50 PM

No love... If it is flooded any suggestions? Only idea I have but it is throwing me off b/c it is fuel injected....

coolbluedab 07-19-2014 10:12 PM

check all fuses? Is there even a sputter? If not, maybe no spark.

Scott91370 07-19-2014 11:11 PM

If it was in gear it shouldn't have even tried to start which means the injectors were not firing.

Does it just crank or does it try to start (stumble then die)?

aurora_F4i 07-20-2014 03:12 PM

Just cranks over, put doesn't catch. I hooked the battery tender back up last night and charged it back it, tried again today and no go. There is a smell of fuel now, that I have tried it for the past two days. Any thoughts?
I am thinking of changing the plugs and FPR as a starting point.
As far as the fuses all lights and dash work, just no go...

PossibleOne 07-20-2014 04:00 PM

Hello,

Couple things here. Now you say you smell fuel. Pull a plug. Are they wet? You need to determine if fuel is making it that far along the chain. In other words, work backwards through the fuel delivery system and process of elimination. As stated above, the injectors shouldnt have been operating. If plug is not wet also check it for spark. Are they fouled? If no spark then multimeter your coils and then eliminate that. Then go ahead and fire some starting fluid down the throttle bodies while attempting to turn the motor over. If it turns on and dies then you are not getting any fuel at the least past the injectors. Then you can check for pulse on the injectos with a 12v test light. Do you have a power commander? If the injectors check out then on to the Fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum hose off of the left side and see if its dripping gas. If it is, its faulty. Before that is checking the lines arent kinked and you need to work back to the fuel pump itself. If these things check out, you may want to start checking the engine kill sensors and such that could cause a no start situation. Checking for pulse and things like that will give you a good indicator what systems are operating and where else you should be looking. You just need to get a list of the things that will cause a no start and eliminate them. A few I mentioned here. After we can discuss more if the above doesnt solve it.

aurora_F4i 07-20-2014 05:33 PM

Pulled the main fuse to check and figured what the heck might as well reset the ECU. What do you know it started to catch, full throttle and started up. Took a min to push all the fuel out. Let it run for about 10min and it starts up fine now. I'll still check the FPR and probably replace that soon. Thanks guys.