F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Wobbly steering and gears shift from 1st to N

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobbly steering and gears shift from 1st to N

Hey I'm new at posting but i come here often the read the postings. A lot of knowledgable people here so i wanted to give it a try.
So anyways, i have a 2001 Honda CBR600F4i, i've had it for about 5 months and i put about 2000 miles on it (about 10500 miles on it now) and i have two issues...when i first got it everything worked like it was brand new, but lately (about two weeks) steering in the front feels a lot more unstable and looser than what it use to be...sometimes feels kinda wobbly. Also pretty recently and at random times, when i take off from stoplights and i try shifting from 1st to 2nd, it goes to neutral instead of 2nd, whether i kick it hard or not. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens enough for me to notice it (never happened when i first got the bike). Anyways only changes i've done to the bike is change the oil (some cheapo half synthetic castrol oil), and replace the rear tire after getting a nail in it.

Hey any help on what i can do to fix this would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-10-2007, 03:13 AM
Default RE: Wobbly steering and gears shift from 1st to N

I had the problem of that happening once or twice, I adjusted my clutch and made sure to pull it in all the way when I shift and it hasn't happened since. Hope that might help you. Other that that, I am not too sure.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Start with making sure that the bolts on your triple clamps, the pinch bolts, and axle bolt are tight. If nothing there, check your bars. Make sure they're snug. If none of these need tightening, lift the front end off the ground. Push back and pull forward the forks to check for play in the steering head bearings.If you have play, you'll have to tear down the front end and inspect the steering head bearings. As far as the shifting, make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly like what Stephens is saying. Don't adjust too much up top, you'll break the adjustment. Speaking from experience on that one. If you need lost of adjustment, do it next to the clutch.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:57 AM

hey thanks for the help guys...i'll try that out

Old 04-10-2007, 08:15 AM

check for a bent rim, a cupping/wavy front tire, check your tire air pressure.........you may try adjusting your shift lever to a more comfortable position, maybe your not pulling it all the way up like you think you are

Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 PM

yea...i'll try to adjust the clutch today because compared to other F4i's (my buddy's, same year) my clutchlever iswayout there (i think my lever got bent a little bit after it fell down in the drive way in the earlier months...maybe i should replace the lever)...and ill look into the loose steering as well

thanks again for the replies

Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't ride the bike with wobbles in the front end. Now that the pertinent information is out (crash) this may be the result of other damage manifesting. Get it solved before putting your life on the line.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:41 PM

i agree with jay here a wobble makes me think ready to come down and u and your bike wont feel pretty afterwards.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:13 AM

I don't know about the wobble, but the shift'n part,, take your RPM's up a little more before shifting,, I had the same problem and I read in one of these threads where other people had the same problem,, after I started running my RPM's to about 6k,, never had a issue again,, weird i know!

Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 PM

Tagum. Get that fixed so we can hit up the twisties already.

Quick Reply: Wobbly steering and gears shift from 1st to N