CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Winter project.... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/winter-project-118745/)

Dblock55 11-17-2010 11:51 AM

Winter project....

Hey all, got a few questions for the F4i guys out there...]

Going to be doing a winter project which consists of rebuilding front brake calipers, revalving suspension and have to replace second gear in transmission since it keeps poppping out.... along with that i will be changing the gearing on the bike....

First question is, what seals and gaskets am i looking to replace with the forks, calipers and transmission??? Do i need to replace the boot on the calipers or just the seals??

Also the reason i am changing the gearing is because i find that i barely get to 5th gear and never get the 6th gear on the track, so am looking to regear it to be able to utilize that high end power..... i was thinking -1 front +2 rear... does anyone have any reason why this is a bad idea??

Thanks for your help guys!!

jp_greenville13 11-17-2010 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dblock55 (Post 988656)
First question is, what seals and gaskets am i looking to replace with the forks, calipers and transmission???

For the forks you're going to need fork seals and dust seals (they come in sets if you get OEM)

As far as the brakes I'm not sure what parts are available but if you're taking them apart it makes sense to do both. If I had to guess though they're only going to be serviceable as a caliper assembly.

Originally Posted by Dblock55 (Post 988656)
i am looking to regear it to be able to utilize that high end power..... i was thinking -1 front +2 rear... does anyone have any reason why this is a bad idea??

That sounds pretty solid. The only thing I can think of that would be a problem is if you ride on the highway much:icon_shrug:

joeroberts 11-17-2010 12:40 PM

You well find that you really don't want to use 6th gear as much as you think you do.
6th gear is like over drive and in racing there is just no need.

brveagle 11-17-2010 12:42 PM

Good luck with your 2nd gear fix. That involves splitting the cases. I would recommend ordering a complete gasket kit for the bike.

I'd start the 2nd gear fix first. That way if anything is terminal once you get inside the motor, you didn't just drop a few hundred on suspension and brake work.

nickp123 11-17-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by joeroberts (Post 988676)
You well find that you really don't want to use 6th gear as much as you think you do.
6th gear is like over drive and in racing there is just no need.

+1 this is what i was going to say. You should have your gearing so your topping out in 5th gear (or close to it). You dont really need 6th.

Dblock55 11-17-2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123 (Post 988730)
+1 this is what i was going to say. You should have your gearing so your topping out in 5th gear (or close to it). You dont really need 6th.

So do you think -1 +2 is excessive?? Maybe -1 in front and leave the rear stock?? What are your opinions?? I do ride on the highway on the way to work daily....

jp_greenville13 11-17-2010 06:02 PM

-1+2 is good for the track and what not but you're 6th gear is going to be like 4 and a half. You gotta decide if it's worth it for the commute :P

Dblock55 11-17-2010 07:32 PM

hmmm interesting to know.... anyone know a good site for seals and gasket replacements?? Or do ya'll just go to the stealership??

jp_greenville13 11-17-2010 07:38 PM

Ebay! Dealerships are usually good in an emergency.

ID_CBRRider 11-17-2010 09:17 PM

Just a thought on your gearing. I have a riding buddy that does the MoM series at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah so he is who I look to for advice on riding track. I am re gearing my bike this winter and asked him if I should go to a -1+2 setup. His response was why do I want to do that setup. I said that seems to be the consensus for the best performance. He said why not just go up 4 (four) teeth in the rear. Dropping a tooth in the front is like going up 2.68 (or some wierd number like that) teeth in the rear. So a -1+2 is basically like going up 4+ total teeth.

Now his reasoning for just going up 4 was what struck me as different. If you drop a tooth in the front then when your chain has to wrap around it the chain wil have to flex (twist, bend, use your word of choice) more because the sprocket is smaller. This could cut your chain life down quite a bit as the individual links will wear out sooner. Going up 4 in the rear will net you nearly the same results as a -1+2 setup but won't be nearly as hard on your chain. Which means you won't wear it out riding on the street and need a new one every 2 years or so.

But that's just my 2cents.