F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Winter is coming & its my first w/a bike in the garage. How to I winterize?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vegas_rebel
You should be able to change the brake fluid and coolant during winter if you want. You'd want to run the bike a bit for the coolant change to get the air bubbles out, but that shouldn't hurt it any. I'd imagine the oil shouldn't need changing if you're just storing it for the winter either.

Might as well use the downtime to get your bike in tip-top shape for next riding season.
Yea I will most likely do as much as I can. Fluids, spilt seat and thee cct swap. Not sure what else but I'm sure I'll find something else to do on it. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 PM
July 2008 ROTM

For what it's worth, I've never winterized my F4i. I put it on stands when I'm done riding it - I've never cared about changing the oil, topping off the tank, etc. Granted my garages don't ever reach below freezing, and I do all the prep (oil change, blah blah) in the spring. But my bike works the same each and every year.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
For what it's worth, I've never winterized my F4i. I put it on stands when I'm done riding it - I've never cared about changing the oil, topping off the tank, etc. Granted my garages don't ever reach below freezing, and I do all the prep (oil change, blah blah) in the spring. But my bike works the same each and every year.
Yea it gets pretty cold sometimes in pa. Def below freezing.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 PM
July 2008 ROTM

And Wisconsin doesn't?! I said my garages don't get below freezing.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Aken
And Wisconsin doesn't?! I said my garages don't get below freezing.
Haha yea I guess your right? You have a heated garage? A buddy of mine does and its real nice. 8 car ports. Like a heated warehouse next to his house.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by McBreezyF4i
Haha yea I guess your right? You have a heated garage? A buddy of mine does and its real nice. 8 car ports. Like a heated warehouse next to his house.
I'm in Fargo, ND and all i do is fill it full of gas(lil seafoam in it) and park it in the storage garage (not heated) and she fires right up, still had the stock battery from 06 and never even had that thing die on me.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:19 PM

It gets cold here in ND during the winter. I have a garage but it's not heated. I fill my tank full of fuel, add stabil and pull my battery and bring it inside for the winter. I also put my rear end on the stand and put carpet pieces underneath my front tire to prevent flat spots. Occasionally get a nice day here and there so throw the battery in and she fires up every time!

Last edited by gotcbr; 11-11-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM

Cool. Thanks for all the tips boys.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Banned

I thought that in America, summer all year round. And there and in Russia it is winter?
We are treated in a warm place the battery and the fuel tank is filled to the cylinders to 20 grams Oil. Close all the holes in the air filter and muffler. Lubricate all the WD-40 that can rust, closed garage, buy vodka and food and go home to wait for spring

Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ser Jon
I thought that in America, summer all year round. And there and in Russia it is winter?
We are treated in a warm place the battery and the fuel tank is filled to the cylinders to 20 grams Oil. Close all the holes in the air filter and muffler. Lubricate all the WD-40 that can rust, closed garage, buy vodka and food and go home to wait for spring
Nah its gets pretty cold up hear in the northeast. Probably not as cold as Russia but it gets below freezing.

Quick Reply: Winter is coming & its my first w/a bike in the garage. How to I winterize?