CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Why Modify? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/why-modify-46143/)

jmdaley 08-01-2007 07:10 PM

RE: Why Modify?

I had a hard time deciding. Mostly i've upgraded brakes, refinished a few body panels/parts to make them look clean and new, and perform regular maintenance (oil, air filter, etc). Like has been mentioned, unless you're taking your bike to the track you really don't need performance upgrades. I did my brake lines and pads because they needed to be replaced anyway and i wanted a better lever feel at the same time...so that goes under performance...but everything else is just taking care of the bike and making it look better as i can.

F4itanner 08-01-2007 07:45 PM

looks are more important to me rather than performance. slips on are a little of both and they give the bike a better sounds. simple performance mods like changing the sprockets is ok for a street bike because when you pull up to a light and a gixxer next to you thinks he is king **** you have that little extra ummph to take him. but when rollin past some chicks you want that bike lookin hotter than hell.

themadpaki 08-01-2007 08:38 PM

ROFL

i guess i'm the only bling-y asshole.

lol

jmdaley 08-02-2007 01:22 PM

Yes. Yes you are.[sm=bling.gif]

[sm=joke.gif] :D

nfamousdevil 08-02-2007 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

To modify for performace gains on a 600 seems dopey to me. The factory makes a 1000ccalternative that will be better in every way, spend your money on that. If you are gonna race it, mods make sense, spend whatever you can to win. But to put on a slip-on, then a pcIII and then dyno tune it for 700 to $1000 and get only a handful of HPs is really kinda crazy, unless of course you have more money than brains.

What are you talking about man? Both bikes have separate race classes. It sounds like you're saying that the sport class should not exist. If you're going to race bikes you might as well just race the fastest ones.

Anyway, I typically go for performance more than looks. Don't get me wrong. I will do those couple of cosmetic mods to make the bike look cleaner. But just the basics. ie. flushmounts, undertail, etc. I just like to go fast.

voodoochyl 08-02-2007 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: themadpaki

ROFL

i guess i'm the only bling-y asshole.

lol

Haha...what an a$$hole you are...[sm=icon_rofl.gif]...just blowin' smoke. I think everyone should do what they want to do. Afterall, it is their bike, right?

fishfryer527 08-03-2007 04:51 AM

I bought a 600 because its what i can afford...Saying instead of modding a 600 buya 1000 is dumb. With me being 17 they wanted $400+ to insure a 1000 i pay 50 a month on my 600. thats a 350 dallor a month difference. over a year that 4200 dallors in just insurance...so u still spend way less on mods on a 600 than even just riding a 1000...
I Agree with you 2002F4i, but my point was to consider the HP/$$ ratio. A full system plus pcIII plus dyno time may yield 12 horsepower but may cost (I am guessing) $1200. That is 1HP per $100! Not only is it 1HP/$100 but it is put into a depreciating asset and the mods are only worth a fraction after they are installed. Look in the 'for sale' section and you will see what I am talking about 'over $40,000 invested, will take best offer over$10,000', it is a common situation.When you look at insurance and whatnot, it does skew the idea of hp/$, but I was thinking Florida where the need for insurance is kinda different. But a 600 is a 600 and will never be a 1000 without sacrificing too must utility or money.

alekinci 08-03-2007 09:13 PM

bling bling,ching ching and gasoline!

ph0b0s 08-04-2007 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

To modify for performace gains on a 600 seems dopey to me. The factory makes a 1000cc alternative that will be better in every way, spend your money on that. If you are gonna race it, mods make sense, spend whatever you can to win. But to put on a slip-on, then a pcIII and then dyno tune it for 700 to $1000 and get only a handful of HPs is really kinda crazy, unless of course you have more money than brains.
I have to agree that lots of ppl upgrade their bikes for performance, while they don't even use the power it came with...

But when putting on a slip-on, adding a pcIII and tune it is not stupid, it's just better for the engine to be adjusted for the new exhaust...

It won't give much extra power (4a5 hp maybe), but it does improve the looks of the bike AND the engine is tuned to it... so when I buy a slip-on for
the looks, it will come with pcIII and tuning too... not for the extra hp, because i'm happy with how the bike performs, but to be sure my engine won't suffer from it...

fishfryer527 08-04-2007 04:51 PM

so when I buy a slip-on for
the looks, it will come with pcIII and tuning too... not for the extra hp, because i'm happy with how the bike performs, but to be sure my engine won't suffer from it...
I'm will you on this, except it just doesn't seem 'worth it' to spend 1000-1200 bucks or about 12 - 16% of the cost of the ENTIRE bike to have a little more sound, a few HP,and slightly better looks. It just seems like alot of money for very little return, but I guess that what makes the world go 'round. Sorry if I sounded like an a-hole earlier, but I kinda am an A-hole. Should I start a petition against me like TheX did?