F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Why can't I get past neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought some super cheap steel toed boots at Payless...they work for now, but I would really like a pair of black steel toe Doc Martins, or an actual riding boot.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uniqsol
I just bought some super cheap steel toed boots at Payless...they work for now, but I would really like a pair of black steel toe Doc Martins, or an actual riding boot.

Why the steel toe obsession? Spending all that money on an expensive non-riding boot is just gonna **** you off when you wear a big patch into the top of it where your shifter sits.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM

I like softer shoes so I can feel where the shifter is! A hard toe won't give you the same feel.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
I do it quite a bit after ive been out a long ride getting tired and not paying attention. And I just wear some skate board shoes
Safety preaching aside, those are by far the second worst pieces of footwear you can ride with. They're made to be extra "floppy" so your foot can give minute feedback to yoru board, and so you can feel what the board is doing under you. They totally fail when used for shifting a bike. You need something with a firm leather top, and reinforcement under the shifter. Spend the $50 and get some cheapo Vegas or something.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Safety preaching aside, those are by far the second worst pieces of footwear you can ride with. They're made to be extra "floppy" so your foot can give minute feedback to yoru board, and so you can feel what the board is doing under you. They totally fail when used for shifting a bike. You need something with a firm leather top, and reinforcement under the shifter. Spend the $50 and get some cheapo Vegas or something.
Yea I know.. I don't even skate board anymore I just love the shoes. But in the event of a wreck im going to be hurting I know.. its just all I have right now. Here in a month at most I should have some nice riding boots.. some sidi's or something.

but with that said, im sure we have found my problem.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:52 PM

You don't necessarily have to purchase "boots", TCX, Alpinestars and Icon make some pretty good riding shoes. I have a pair of X-Cubes from TCX, they offer great protection with a high-top kinda look, that protect the important ankle area, but are IMO more comfortable for my daily commutes.
I also own tall riding boots, I rarely use those, more for longer treks usually out of town 100+mile trips.
It's purely preference, but then again thats just IMO and up to you to decide what feels better for you.
You gatta dump the skate shoes soon though! lol

I also have a pair of these:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Shoes.aspx
I'm handing them down to my lil bro though cuz they were a bit too snug for my fit.

Here's a link to the ones I own. TCX X-Cubes, sound kinda weird, lol, very comfortable though.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...pose-Boot.aspx

Last edited by Joey_f4i; 07-09-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Why the steel toe obsession? Spending all that money on an expensive non-riding boot is just gonna **** you off when you wear a big patch into the top of it where your shifter sits.
I have been using these same boots for about 3 seasons of riding and have yet to notice any wear from the shifter. Leather holds up pretty well against wear from a rubber coated shifter.

I also wore these boots all last winter for work and they still look really good...just sayin'

Old 07-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Don't think it has anything to do with the steel toe, then. You just bought some good boots. I've got a pair of $125 Steve Madden boots that I wore the tops out on in like a month. I told the dude at DSW if they're gonna call these "motorcycle boots," they need to put "motorcycle" in quotes.

Serves me right for being a fashion victim.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main purpose of a riding boot/shoe over regular shoes is not really ankle protection or durability (as much) as it is that the riding boots are designed to stay on. That's not to say that ankle protection and durability aren't also good consideration and that motorcycle boots don't provide those good safety factors, but the thing motorcycle safety guys preach is to get an ankle-over shoe/boot because sneakers tend to fly off very easily -- whether they're doc martin-types, running shoes, or skate shoes. If they come over your ankle, they're going to stay on much, much better. And on the point of ankle protection; yes, they certianly help in idle-speed maneuvering maybe in a parking lot or the like but at any speed above that if your ankle is in a compromising position... it's probably going to give.

Anyway, the point is to wear foot protection that is designed in a way that it will stay on if the worst should happen.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Any riding boot, shoe, whatever that is engineered made for "Motorbike riding" will have some kind of ankle re-enforcement, obviously to protect that area and most will have ankle-straps or buckles to help them stay on during a crash.
That to me is probably the most important part of any riding foot-wear. Won't do you any good if your fancy $200 boots fly off when you hit the pavement or when you low-side and your bike lands on your leg, heel, foot, whatever.

Quick Reply: Why can't I get past neutral?