CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Why can't I get past neutral? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/why-cant-i-get-past-neutral-96849/)

xjoewhitex 07-08-2009 08:43 PM

Why can't I get past neutral?

It seems every time that I get on it from first and go to shift through the gears it gets stuck in neutral and I just rev the crap out of it. Its not every time but alot of the time.. did it 3 times today to see if I could figure out the problem. Anyone else?

mike and ikes 07-09-2009 12:12 AM

How long have you been riding?

I ask because I did that a good number of times when I first started riding. I quickly learned to lift my toes up harder when shifting. Even into higher gears. Don't be afraid of shifting too hard!

Incognito 07-09-2009 01:14 AM

+1 Also, you can lower your shift lever, which helped me out. But it still happens (rarely :icon_confused: ) lol

DarkJuic3b0x 07-09-2009 03:00 AM

I had that same exact problem when I first started out riding; I would sometimes shift and get stuck in neutral and rev it and look like an idiot, but with more experience, the easier it comes, although rarely will that still happen to me now, I find that it only happens when I get lazy. Bikes are meant to be ridden hard. Don't be afraid to shift hard, the bike will appreciate it rather than you pushing the shifter a little and then CRUNCH, grind the gears.

SteveZabz 07-09-2009 05:37 AM

hmm i personally never had that problem but id have to agree with the rest of them... although there could be something else who knows... i know when i jump on my buddies GSXR 750 its its hard to throw it down to first... could just be a the bike...who knows... let me know when ya figure it out....

Uniqsol 07-09-2009 08:44 AM

I have rarely had that problem (like said above...when getting lazy). It has happened maybe 5-7 times in the 2 years I have been riding. I wear steel toe boots all the time. I have heard from people that it is easier to shift with boots on as apposed to shoes. What footwear do you have? Just a thought.

Elfling 07-09-2009 08:45 AM

Yeah, sounds like you're just not popping it up hard enough. What everybody else said- what shoes are you wearing and check your shift lever, maybe you just need to adjust it a bit.

Beefcake 07-09-2009 02:52 PM

lower the shift lever

johnnyx 07-09-2009 03:09 PM

+1. Don't change your shoes (unless they're not appropriate for riding), just lower your shifter. You can make major adjustments by rotating the clamp that attaches to the trans, and minor by twisting the connecting rod. That's all just part of setting a bike up to fit you.

xjoewhitex 07-09-2009 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uniqsol (Post 807393)
I have rarely had that problem (like said above...when getting lazy). It has happened maybe 5-7 times in the 2 years I have been riding. I wear steel toe boots all the time. I have heard from people that it is easier to shift with boots on as apposed to shoes. What footwear do you have? Just a thought.

I do it quite a bit after ive been out a long ride getting tired and not paying attention. And I just wear some skate board shoes so id say that also is part of the problem.. I was just reading that review that "jackass" wrote and he said something about a neutral finder? I thought maybe there was an actual problem with these bikes but as I can tell now its only me.

To answer a few other questions.. Ive been riding for about a year I think, second bike.

Id say some boots which ive wanted anyways to harden my toe, and lower the shifter I should be ok?

Uniqsol 07-09-2009 04:32 PM

I just bought some super cheap steel toed boots at Payless...they work for now, but I would really like a pair of black steel toe Doc Martins, or an actual riding boot.

johnnyx 07-09-2009 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uniqsol (Post 807600)
I just bought some super cheap steel toed boots at Payless...they work for now, but I would really like a pair of black steel toe Doc Martins, or an actual riding boot.

Why the steel toe obsession? Spending all that money on an expensive non-riding boot is just gonna piss you off when you wear a big patch into the top of it where your shifter sits.

mike and ikes 07-09-2009 04:45 PM

I like softer shoes so I can feel where the shifter is! A hard toe won't give you the same feel.

johnnyx 07-09-2009 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex (Post 807566)
I do it quite a bit after ive been out a long ride getting tired and not paying attention. And I just wear some skate board shoes

Safety preaching aside, those are by far the second worst pieces of footwear you can ride with. They're made to be extra "floppy" so your foot can give minute feedback to yoru board, and so you can feel what the board is doing under you. They totally fail when used for shifting a bike. You need something with a firm leather top, and reinforcement under the shifter. Spend the $50 and get some cheapo Vegas or something.

xjoewhitex 07-09-2009 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx (Post 807605)
Safety preaching aside, those are by far the second worst pieces of footwear you can ride with. They're made to be extra "floppy" so your foot can give minute feedback to yoru board, and so you can feel what the board is doing under you. They totally fail when used for shifting a bike. You need something with a firm leather top, and reinforcement under the shifter. Spend the $50 and get some cheapo Vegas or something.

Yea I know.. I don't even skate board anymore I just love the shoes. But in the event of a wreck im going to be hurting I know.. its just all I have right now. Here in a month at most I should have some nice riding boots.. some sidi's or something.

but with that said, im sure we have found my problem.

Joey_f4i 07-09-2009 05:52 PM

You don't necessarily have to purchase "boots", TCX, Alpinestars and Icon make some pretty good riding shoes. I have a pair of X-Cubes from TCX, they offer great protection with a high-top kinda look, that protect the important ankle area, but are IMO more comfortable for my daily commutes.
I also own tall riding boots, I rarely use those, more for longer treks usually out of town 100+mile trips.
It's purely preference, but then again thats just IMO and up to you to decide what feels better for you.
You gatta dump the skate shoes soon though! lol:icon_wink:

I also have a pair of these:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Shoes.aspx
I'm handing them down to my lil bro though cuz they were a bit too snug for my fit.

Here's a link to the ones I own. TCX X-Cubes, sound kinda weird, lol, very comfortable though.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...pose-Boot.aspx

Uniqsol 07-10-2009 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx (Post 807602)
Why the steel toe obsession? Spending all that money on an expensive non-riding boot is just gonna piss you off when you wear a big patch into the top of it where your shifter sits.

I have been using these same boots for about 3 seasons of riding and have yet to notice any wear from the shifter. Leather holds up pretty well against wear from a rubber coated shifter.

I also wore these boots all last winter for work and they still look really good...just sayin'

johnnyx 07-10-2009 08:51 AM

Don't think it has anything to do with the steel toe, then. You just bought some good boots. I've got a pair of $125 Steve Madden boots that I wore the tops out on in like a month. I told the dude at DSW if they're gonna call these "motorcycle boots," they need to put "motorcycle" in quotes.

Serves me right for being a fashion victim.

chuckbear 07-10-2009 10:07 AM

The main purpose of a riding boot/shoe over regular shoes is not really ankle protection or durability (as much) as it is that the riding boots are designed to stay on. That's not to say that ankle protection and durability aren't also good consideration and that motorcycle boots don't provide those good safety factors, but the thing motorcycle safety guys preach is to get an ankle-over shoe/boot because sneakers tend to fly off very easily -- whether they're doc martin-types, running shoes, or skate shoes. If they come over your ankle, they're going to stay on much, much better. And on the point of ankle protection; yes, they certianly help in idle-speed maneuvering maybe in a parking lot or the like but at any speed above that if your ankle is in a compromising position... it's probably going to give.

Anyway, the point is to wear foot protection that is designed in a way that it will stay on if the worst should happen.

Joey_f4i 07-11-2009 11:24 AM

Any riding boot, shoe, whatever that is engineered made for "Motorbike riding" will have some kind of ankle re-enforcement, obviously to protect that area and most will have ankle-straps or buckles to help them stay on during a crash.
That to me is probably the most important part of any riding foot-wear. Won't do you any good if your fancy $200 boots fly off when you hit the pavement or when you low-side and your bike lands on your leg, heel, foot, whatever.

xjoewhitex 07-11-2009 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear (Post 807913)
The main purpose of a riding boot/shoe over regular shoes is not really ankle protection or durability (as much) as it is that the riding boots are designed to stay on. That's not to say that ankle protection and durability aren't also good consideration and that motorcycle boots don't provide those good safety factors, but the thing motorcycle safety guys preach is to get an ankle-over shoe/boot because sneakers tend to fly off very easily -- whether they're doc martin-types, running shoes, or skate shoes. If they come over your ankle, they're going to stay on much, much better. And on the point of ankle protection; yes, they certianly help in idle-speed maneuvering maybe in a parking lot or the like but at any speed above that if your ankle is in a compromising position... it's probably going to give.

Anyway, the point is to wear foot protection that is designed in a way that it will stay on if the worst should happen.

Yea which I why I just ordered some alpine star's today because that really scares crap out of me.. Once skating I hit the pavement pretty hard and lost a shoe so what would happen falling off a bike.

Btw I tried wearing my work boots while riding the past couple of days and theres so much improvement in my shifting.. so that their was the exact problem I was having. My skate shoes just giving too much on hard shifting.

Thanks for all the help.

Uniqsol 07-11-2009 10:49 PM

Nice to hear that worked for ya!

BTW: I think any (steel toe...my preference) boot will stay on...I would like to see how people are strapping boots on, that fall right off. Also steel toed boots will help if you ever pick up a rock or other shrapnel. I have felt big rocks hit my steel toe...I dont feel the rock itself, but I feel the thud on my boot.I just think if you can have more protection the better. Plus the steel toe might help with the wear on the leather, not sure about that tho. But my boots are cheap Stanley boots from Payless and they are holding up great.