CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Why can't I get past neutral? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/why-cant-i-get-past-neutral-96849/)

xjoewhitex 07-08-2009 08:43 PM

Why can't I get past neutral?

It seems every time that I get on it from first and go to shift through the gears it gets stuck in neutral and I just rev the crap out of it. Its not every time but alot of the time.. did it 3 times today to see if I could figure out the problem. Anyone else?

mike and ikes 07-09-2009 12:12 AM

How long have you been riding?

I ask because I did that a good number of times when I first started riding. I quickly learned to lift my toes up harder when shifting. Even into higher gears. Don't be afraid of shifting too hard!

Incognito 07-09-2009 01:14 AM

+1 Also, you can lower your shift lever, which helped me out. But it still happens (rarely :icon_confused: ) lol

DarkJuic3b0x 07-09-2009 03:00 AM

I had that same exact problem when I first started out riding; I would sometimes shift and get stuck in neutral and rev it and look like an idiot, but with more experience, the easier it comes, although rarely will that still happen to me now, I find that it only happens when I get lazy. Bikes are meant to be ridden hard. Don't be afraid to shift hard, the bike will appreciate it rather than you pushing the shifter a little and then CRUNCH, grind the gears.

SteveZabz 07-09-2009 05:37 AM

hmm i personally never had that problem but id have to agree with the rest of them... although there could be something else who knows... i know when i jump on my buddies GSXR 750 its its hard to throw it down to first... could just be a the bike...who knows... let me know when ya figure it out....

Uniqsol 07-09-2009 08:44 AM

I have rarely had that problem (like said above...when getting lazy). It has happened maybe 5-7 times in the 2 years I have been riding. I wear steel toe boots all the time. I have heard from people that it is easier to shift with boots on as apposed to shoes. What footwear do you have? Just a thought.

Elfling 07-09-2009 08:45 AM

Yeah, sounds like you're just not popping it up hard enough. What everybody else said- what shoes are you wearing and check your shift lever, maybe you just need to adjust it a bit.

Beefcake 07-09-2009 02:52 PM

lower the shift lever

johnnyx 07-09-2009 03:09 PM

+1. Don't change your shoes (unless they're not appropriate for riding), just lower your shifter. You can make major adjustments by rotating the clamp that attaches to the trans, and minor by twisting the connecting rod. That's all just part of setting a bike up to fit you.

xjoewhitex 07-09-2009 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uniqsol (Post 807393)
I have rarely had that problem (like said above...when getting lazy). It has happened maybe 5-7 times in the 2 years I have been riding. I wear steel toe boots all the time. I have heard from people that it is easier to shift with boots on as apposed to shoes. What footwear do you have? Just a thought.

I do it quite a bit after ive been out a long ride getting tired and not paying attention. And I just wear some skate board shoes so id say that also is part of the problem.. I was just reading that review that "jackass" wrote and he said something about a neutral finder? I thought maybe there was an actual problem with these bikes but as I can tell now its only me.

To answer a few other questions.. Ive been riding for about a year I think, second bike.

Id say some boots which ive wanted anyways to harden my toe, and lower the shifter I should be ok?