F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Whose been to track days?

Old 10-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whose been to track days?

Hi, i'm just wondering whose been to the track, and what was the experience? I'm heading to Parhump beginning of November for my first track day. Any tips?

Thanks!

~Jenn

Old 10-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Whose been to track days?

it's awesome! first time of course you get the jitters, but once that's gone...dope!...even awesome with the jitters.
just ride your own ride and make sure you warm up your tires completely.
have lots of water and just have a good time, don't be all stiff.

after this, street, canyons, etc. just won't be the same anymore!

Old 10-22-2005, 12:13 AM

trackdays rule. im doing another one november 5th at jennings gp.
couple of tips
ride at your own pace, dont try to do too much
get a canopy tent, you'll thank me later for that one
plenty of water and some gatorade
chairs are good
bring a buddy/girlfriend to keep you company...
and most of all HAVE FUN!!!!

Old 10-22-2005, 10:46 AM

<----- Turn 9 at Thunderhill

The best advice I can give is that you be predictable. Don't worry about being slow out there and move out of the way for others. The fast guys will get around you as long as they know what you're going to do. Hold your lines and don't do anything rash.

Other than that, HAVE FUN!!!!

Welcome to the addiction!

Old 10-22-2005, 12:55 PM

Do not forget to bring chairs, maybe two since yours will be used and then you can have a visitor...some shade is a great thing to have as well even if it is just a large umbrella for you to sit under.
Make a checklist of things to bring...do NOT forget your key, I have seen lots of people show up only to realize the key is at home. Talk about ruining your day...
The is a book by Nick Ienatsch called "Sportriding techniques for the street and track" It covers trackdays as well as many other important areas such as cornering,braking,ect...I bring it with me and read it all the time. There is the aforementioned checklist for your trackday in there as well
And of course it is neccesary to be predicatable as abadfish mentioned..nothing worse than closing on a slower rider, or being the one closed in on, to have someone freak out and cut you off. The results can be ugly!! You have no mirrors and dont try to be nice and get out of the way if someone is closing on you. It is the person passing responsiablity to make a clean,safe pass. Not yours to accomadate them. This is not a race!! Most trackdays have a 6 foot rule meaning you cannot pass within 6 foot, and the C group (which is what most first timers enter in) does not allow inside passing. It depends on which organization puts on the event.
Cal-Sportbike trackdays (which are now a sponsor) has the best services around for the money. And all organizations have fairly common rules as I have mentioned...just have fun and ride at your own pace. Do not get caught up in try to catch someone if they pass you, let them go and ride within your limits.
I have a trackday this Wednesday at Thunderhill with Kiegwins@the track (Another great company for trackdays)

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/4BA6FCE7587D41698D573BA39B8A4510.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-24-2005, 09:25 PM

Another good book to check out is Kieth Code's Twist of the Wrist II. If you read that before you go and then after you've been it will truly be enlightening. I've been going to trackdays for three years now and it is so frickin' addictive it should almost be illegal, thank god it isn't. I take my whole family and my daughter did her first trackdays this year too.

Biggest thing is to relax enjoy yourslef. Don't worry about everyone else or what they think. It is all about being smooth and trusting your abilities and that of the machines. Make sure you take someone with you to help out and enjoy the weekend.

Remember slow is ok, crashing sucks. Ride within your limits. Whatever org you are going with should have a tech info sheet or webpage. Start preparing early and double check, this will lower the stress level to start with. I usually start taping and getting ready on Wednesday then check everything again on Thursday then load up and off to the track on Friday afternoon/evening.

Enjoy and be safe.

Rob
'03 F4i
'04 1KRR

Old 10-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and...don't let anyone drink all your gatorade cause you won't have any left!

abad needs to change his avatar...trying to be a baller and stuff with that F3 and then show up to the track in an RR...baller