F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Who's changed sprockets out there

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's changed sprockets out there

Just bought my 2nd f4i. This one's a laid down/wrecked 2002 with 9000 miles on it. For safety reasons I decided to put on a new chain and stock front and rear sprockets. 16/46.
Questions:
1) Is it necessary to replace the chain and sprockets or am I being paranoid?
2) I bought the replacement stuff at the local Honda dealer, and paid $200.00 for all 3. Fair price or should I have bought online?
3) The replacement front sprocket does not have the rubber on the sides, like the factory sprocket. Is the rubber necessary or again amI being paranoid?
4) The RK Gold replacement chain only comes with a "snap link " master link. AmI crazy here, or should it have come with a "press in" type master link?
The local Honda dealer will obviously get all these questions come Tuesday, but for now they're considered incompetant for selling me these without explanation.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Default RE: Who's changed sprockets out there

The stock sprocket has the rubber on it to keep it quiet I believe. It's no big deal. I wouldn't worry about it.

I would definately get a press in type master link. The snap link is not good as it can fly off and you know what happens then. (world of ****)

Inspect your chain and sprockets for wear and tear and if they are deemed unsatisfactory then change em.

You're not paranoid your just thorough.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 PM
July 2008 ROTM

1) They do wear out over time. If you felt that it was necessary, and it makes you more comfortable, then the money was well spent.
2) Aftermarket kits can be had for cheaper, so in my opinion you paid more than was necessary. However it's not that much more, so you shouldn't kick yourself too hard.
3) Dunno.
4) Press-in master links are definitely recommended. They aren't too much money, either, so I'd suggest getting one.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:05 AM

next time, i would check out http://www.sprocketcenter.com and go with a DID x-ring chain and some nice aluminum sprockets

Last edited by axsys; 12-18-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:13 AM

1) Always better to be safe than sorry
2) Should I have bought online? I paid a little under $200 for a 520 conversion DID and AFAM sprockets. Stay away from Vortex sprockets!
3) Is the rubber necessary? Nope. About the only thing you might notice is a little more noise when shifting
4) "press in" type master link? The press-in rivit is the safest, although I had a snap on my 900RR and never had a problem, But that didn't make it safe (see #1)

Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered Users

just put my new stuff in recently...

1) +1 ^^^ on what they said...if it needs it do it....but either way, not gonna hurt you
2) could be had cheaper online...you could have also gotten a gearing change out of the deal for the same or less...plus you likely got 530 sprocket....where you could have gone and done a 520 conversion...but either way...it'll all work the same
3) no need to worry about the rubber, doesn't come on ANY aftermarket front sprocket
4) definitely the rivet style...i did a LOT of reading before i made my decision and there are just too many horror stories about the clip on to make me feel safe...only problem, you then have to get a riveting tool...the tools for doing it right will take on another $50 or so...just be warned...

@onarom - i have a vortex rear sprocket and have no problems and have read a ton of people happy with them...you're the first person i have seen that doesn't like them...why?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:03 AM

Just did mine this weekend, got my chain and sprockets from "sprocket center" "AFAM" sprockets, 14 front(dropped 1 tooth in front)43 rear and 530 DID gold X ring chain, ya the 530 was over kill but I wont have to worry about that chain for a good 20k. While I had the rear wheel apart I replaced the wheel bearings, my bike has over 60k on the clock not sure when the bearings werelast changed out, the old oneslooked ok but I changed em out any way

Old 02-18-2008, 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: ffingers

@onarom - i have a vortex rear sprocket and have no problems and have read a ton of people happy with them...you're the first person i have seen that doesn't like them...why?
I have heard negative things about the longevity of Vortex sprockets, especially when it comes to the 1000's. One of the threads noted that Brad from Supperbike Supply had one go bad in less than a week. I have also heard others state that they have never had a problem with Vortex sprockets, but I have never heard anything bad about Driven or Afam- so I always sugegst one of those.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Registered Users

i think that is more common with an aluminum sprocket in general...aka...a 520 sprocket...but the CAT5 vortex sprockets are PTFE hardcoated and supposed to be almost as durable as a steel sprocket...

i think i read that thread too about the bad vortex one...i think everyone in the forum said that it was amazing how bad it went...i think either he got a defective one or something else was going on...i mean...i don't care how bad the sprocket is....to go that bad in 1 week was amazing....dunno...i'll let you know how long mine works...

Old 02-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My F4i chewed up the Vortex in about 7.5k miles, I was riding really hard though the first 1k miles up in the mountains...

My chain (525 RK Racing X-Ring) was within oem standards on play, it was cleaned and lubed at least every three hundred miles and I wasn't doing anything stupid (wheelies and crap)...

...and it was a hard coated aluminium sprocket. So that was probably why it was gone so fast.

Quick Reply: Who's changed sprockets out there