F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Who said the F4i can't lean?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant see his pegs in the pix posted, but I installed 600RR pegs on mine (direct bolton) n left the feelers off as they were touching b4 my toe sliders were. But they are alot smaller than the stock F4/i pegs n give a better feel n feed back over the stocker too.

Last edited by PlayfulGod; 01-18-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM

I agree, it does look like you're sitting too far off of the seat. Also, try what Woot said. If you watch the videos someone posted a few weeks back, you'll see what he's talking about. Riders end up keeping their arm that's away from the turn straight. That's just how it ends up.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM

That's good to know... because stock RR pegs are pretty available in the pits.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM

I'm not sure he's too far off... but I like to get my head, elbow, and knee over each other... it stops me cheating

Depends on the corner too... there are a few uphill corners that I will get right next to the bike, low and tucked into the side. In both cases it is an effort to hold the front end down and keep the bike as upright as possible. Lets you get the throttle open wider sooner.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:29 PM

Not to thread jack - but to toss a couple more sample photos into the discussion.

Here's a snap of me coming into 2... the good points are I'm looking where I want to go and the upper body is over. I could be lower and further forward... and the bike could be more upright.

Getting the knee down will happen... and it is always fun

Here is an example of me not moving the upper body over... this is one of those uphill examples, but when I look at the photo I want to go back and do it properly. It is a learning experience - and one has to be self critical at times. In my mind I'm trying to stay compact and low...

Old 01-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I definitely need improvement no doubt. I only posted my best pictures because there were blantely obvious ones where my form was crap and I noticed it right away so I didn't need comments there.

See, now this form seems off to me too. I think you should have your upper body more over the tank and not off like that.

I looked at a lot of photos at Jennings in their classroom building and they have a ton of photos everywhere of guys racing there and I would look at their form to see how they looked. When I looked at one dude that had his bike real far over he didn't really have his body off much and only barely stuck out his knee. His bike was just super leaned over. I think I need to come back on more and just lean more. It's much easier said than done reviewing pics of course. When you're actually riding your brain is telling you get off the bike!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 PM

good rule of thumb is head>mirror, titty over tank fill cap, cheek off, on ***** of feet.

I agree (tho I'm not expert by no means) in that pic the riders upper body is a bit off too much, titty is over the edge of the tank instead of the cap.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 AM

My comment on lean angle and body position - If I put my weight on the wrong side of the bike I can grind my inside peg all day - if lean angle alone was the measure of a good turn then people wouldn't try to get off the bike.

When you get off the bike you can reduce the lean angle, and maintain the same or higher speed (larger contact patch) - I think what you'd need to see attached to the photos are speeds/lap times.

In the photo with my body really open - check out the foot. I've changed my style there as that foot is getting too close to the track. Rotating the boot so you have the edge of the boot on the peg, instead of the sole serves double purpose as it reduces the peg width of the foot (increase ground clearance) and makes it easier (for me) to get my knee out.

I'd like to also work on getting my head down in that photo - the other half of getting the body off is to bring the weight down... part of the reason for the head being high there is that is a downhill to uphill U turn from a very fast corner into this very slow corner with all of the suspension compression from both braking and the hill (gravity), and the angle of momentum.

I would suggest in that photo the bike is as far over as it needs to be, but that my body position is a good thing to work on; Open the knee, get the body down, and head further forward/down. Leaning forward you'd see that the head would be where the mirror would be... and that is one of the targets I have been given.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a comment on some telling the guy he's too far off the bike.....tell that to Ben Spies and Mat Mladdin when their elbows are almost dragging the pavement and tell them they'd be faster if they didn't get off the bike as far.

Point #1, as mentioned in another post above, hanging off the bike does allow the bike to get though a turn with less lean angle. This gives more contact patch allowing you to get back into the throttle sooner for a better drive out of the turn.

Point #2, if the bike is at max lean, the farther you hang off, the tighter the bike can turn, and the more speed you can maintain through the turn and stay on your line.

It's like running. When you're running and turn right, your shoulder naturally leans right. Turn left and your shoulder leans left. You don't just stick your hip out in the direction you want to turn. Hook the heal of your outside foot behind the heal guard and take your shoulder and butt off the bike together keeping your spine as perpendicular to the bike as you can. Use your outside forearm and elbow to hold to the side of the fuel tank. Get your head down and kiss that rear view mirror. The closer your center of gravity is to the ground, the better the bike will turn.

One more thing, get some Stomp Grips or TechSpec Snakeskins. They alleviate the feeling that you're going to fall off the bike, allowing you to get even farther out of the bike. I didn't realize how much they help until I took mine off for aesthetic reasons. A new set will be installed by spring.

A couple of vids to help you along.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCg3BMGe52M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0v4greHKuI

Last edited by backroad; 01-19-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by backroad
Just a comment on some telling the guy he's too far off the bike.....tell that to Ben Spies and Mat Mladdin when their elbows are almost dragging the pavement and tell them they'd be faster if they didn't get off the bike as far.

Point #1, as mentioned in another post above, hanging off the bike does allow the bike to get though a turn with less lean angle. This gives more contact patch allowing you to get back into the throttle sooner for a better drive out of the turn.

Point #2, if the bike is at max lean, the farther you hang off, the tighter the bike can turn, and the more speed you can maintain through the turn and stay on your line.

It's like running. When you're running and turn right, your shoulder naturally leans right. Turn left and your shoulder leans left. You don't just stick your hip out in the direction you want to turn. Hook the heal of your outside foot behind the heal guard and take your shoulder and butt off the bike together keeping your spine as perpendicular to the bike as you can. Use your outside forearm and elbow to hold to the side of the fuel tank. Get your head down and kiss that rear view mirror. The closer your center of gravity is to the ground, the better the bike will turn.

One more thing, get some Stomp Grips or TechSpec Snakeskins. They alleviate the feeling that you're going to fall off the bike, allowing you to get even farther out of the bike. I didn't realize how much they help until I took mine off for aesthetic reasons. A new set will be installed by spring.

A couple of vids to help you along....
Ben n Matt are hangin off the bike like we are suggesting tho lol, they are just leaned that far over with the bike

Quick Reply: Who said the F4i can't lean?