CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Who said the F4i can't lean? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/who-said-f4i-cant-lean-104972/)

JeremyGSU 01-17-2010 08:07 PM

Who said the F4i can't lean?

7 Attachment(s)
I went to Jennings today (sorry northern people) and had a blast as usual. This would make my 4 bike track day (I've done 30 car days though) and I think I'm getting the hang of it, at least to the left. lol

I ran the intermediate group this time and I was surprised I was passing most of the people in my group considering everybody else had race prepped bikes with slicks or DOT race, suspensions, power mods, gearing, etc. And I have this old F4i with bone stock bottomed out crap suspension (I'm 215lbs), which isn't setup btw, stock power, stock gearing, running Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires on there 4th track day and I was passing them. lol
(the only mods I have are Two-Brothers slip-on, speedohealer, and Goodridge stainless steel front lines). Oh, I forgot to mention...for those that complain about the rear sets dragging just remove the feeler pegs on them and they should be OK. I removed mine and didn't scrap once today.

Yes, yes, I realize this has to do more with rider than anything else but I thought it was funny. Why all these people run these race tires when they are still slow like me doesn't make much sense but whatever.

On to the negatives....I can't seem to get my form down to the right at this track. Of course, there are only two rights so it's harder to practice them. I think I need new rotors. The Galfer pads I'm running don't like to be mated with stock rotors. I need gearing. I was redlining 4th on the back straight with the stock gearing. As I get faster I could go into 5th but it wouldn't be for very long.

I think my best lap time was around a 1:30.

Anyway, here are some pics. '04 F4i
Attachment 58809
Attachment 58810
Attachment 58811
(This was taken as I was passing them)
Attachment 58812
Attachment 58813
Attachment 58814

This ones my favorite.
Attachment 58815

yog182 01-17-2010 08:10 PM

Nice keep it up

PlayfulGod 01-17-2010 08:13 PM

a 1:30 around Jennings is nothing to laugh at lol. I know some folks that do racks days alot or race or use to race that do 1:28ish. So being your 4th n doing a 1:30 is a great feat!!!

most ppl have issues getting down on the right side because of the exhaust, I am just the opposite lol. Practice, practice, practice!!!!

Aken 01-17-2010 09:33 PM

Only noobs say the F4i can't lean, the rest of us just wave goodbye :)

Zero1080 01-17-2010 11:26 PM

^I like that

Looks like you might be leaning to far off the bike. Your lefts look like your positioned really well, but to the rights you look uncomfortable.

JeremyGSU 01-18-2010 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Zero1080 (Post 874822)
^I like that

Looks like you might be leaning to far off the bike. Your lefts look like your positioned really well, but to the rights you look uncomfortable.

It's not so much that I'm uncomfortable because I was pushing it just as hard in the right as the left as I'm just not doing the correct form. I always forget to tuck my shoulder down more and was too quick to throw my ass out. I think I might be off a little too much but I was worried the street tires weren't going to grip anymore so I was leaning off a lot thinking it would help. Next time I do a track day where it's more right than left I can work on that more.

skoobydoobie 01-18-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU (Post 874763)
I went to Jennings today (sorry northern people)

Screw you buddy. Its like 12 degrees out there. Seriously though, I'm jealous.

jondevos 01-18-2010 09:40 AM

Awesome pics. The most action my bike has seen in months is installing a security system on it this past weekend. Riding in the cold wouldnt bother me but here in Ontario we have this nasty thing called snow. Good luck with the practice and enjoy the nice weather. Feel free to send some myway.

2H company 01-18-2010 05:11 PM

Nice pictures. I really want to get to track myself. One day, one day.

Keep those pictures coming!!!

woot 01-18-2010 05:26 PM

I'm running the F4 with mostly stock suspension... I find that the suspension is starting to become a big problem in two ways; the first, as the suspension compresses the bikes geometry changes, and it starts to feel like it doesn't want to turn any sharper - like it wants to run wider; and second that the bike compressing reduces ground clearance, particularily on right handers down hill. I cracked an exhaust mount when I hit the exhaust on corner 4.

I'm running track tires, but like you I found the 2CT to be perfectly fine for some pretty quick laps.

One comment on body position - looks like in the later pictures you were doing a better job of it... but in a couple I see that your upper body is staying over the bike more... try moving the upper body off a bit more. I find that my outside arm is now almost straight to reach over the bike for the bar. That's a nit pick comment, and only meant as a suggestion... I love riding the track and am striving to get better... I meant that comment in the way I'd like to get the same comments from fellow track riders.

As for peg feelers - I've ground mine off... as well as put a 45 degree angle on the pegs. New suspension and increased rear ride height... plus a diet for myself should gain back that precious safety margin. At the moment I'm running dangerously close to loosing the back end when something too hard catches ground.

The F4i is no slouch on the track - and without an above average rider you won't see a difference in lap times.