CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   White smoke form exhaust. Im stumped (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/white-smoke-form-exhaust-im-stumped-127721/)

ryder1 07-02-2011 01:45 PM

White smoke form exhaust. Im stumped

Hello and thanks for viewing. Ok for starters let me run through my issues and maybe someone out there can help. I bought this 2001 cbr 600f4i about a month ago. It has 8,xxx miles on it. The previous owner let it sit for a couple years ( said he rode it twice) so I obviously have to tune it up. I ran fresh gas in it with a fuel injector cleaner, changed the oil, spark plugs, and installed a k&n filter. The bike obviously ran a lot smoother however the gas mileage was horrible (about 15-20 mpg). I ran 2 tanks of gas out in about 150 miles which i know is not right. The bike was running rich and the exhaust smell heavily like gas and started putting out white smoke. I figured I needed to replace the fpr since the previous owner left old gas in the tank. I replaced the fpr and also changed the oil again because it too smelled like gas. The new fpr took care of the running rich/ gas exhaust issue but I now have even heavier white smoke coming out of the exhaust and the bike now runs like crap. What could possibly be my problem? :icon_shrug:

YellowJacket! 07-02-2011 02:40 PM

Still running a lot of fuel injector cleaner through it? If so, then that can cause the white smoke.

Still a possibility that there may be some water in the fuel system...tank esp.

Leaking head gasket is a possibility as well.

David

ryder1 07-02-2011 09:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm starting to lean towards the head gasket. Hopefully I haven't damaged the piston rings. Earlier I checked the codes on it and the fi light stays on. No blink just a solid fi light that stays on until I remove the jumper wire. I don't think I have a fuel injector stuck open or the exhaust would still b running rich. Could it b anything other than the gasket??

Dragondima 07-03-2011 09:43 AM

150 miles on a tank actually sounds about right, maybe a little shy, mine gets around 160 and I typically blame my sprockets for that. Anyways, I know that when you overfill the oil, specifically white smoke will come out. Not to say you did a bad oil change, but maybe you over poured it?

RoadiJeff 07-03-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ryder1 (Post 1074361)
I ran 2 tanks of gas out in about 150 miles which i know is not right.

Originally Posted by Dragondima (Post 1074553)
150 miles on a tank actually sounds about right, maybe a little shy, mine gets around 160 and I typically blame my sprockets for that.

Yes, but he ran TWO tanks of gas in 150 miles.

ryder1 07-03-2011 02:02 PM

New update, I noticed it doesn't start smoking until the coolant starts to circulate. I'm almost sure its the head gasket. I'll double check a couple other things before I try and get it replaced

Dragondima 07-04-2011 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 1074557)
Yes, but he ran TWO tanks of gas in 150 miles.

Good call, didn't read that properly.

ryder1 07-06-2011 09:22 PM

I finally got my bike in for a diagnostic and I was pleased to hear that my white smoke was excess gunk on my crankcase from my previous oil. After it burns off the white smoke will go away. I found out that I need a new cct but what f4I doesn't. A lot less expensive fix. :D now if you'll excuse me I have a lot of riding to do!

EA 09-18-2011 08:19 PM

How would anyone know that it is just gunk on the crankcase from old oil without actually pulling apart the engine to see if the head gasket wasn't blown first?

I'm asking because I have this same problem. Slight smoking out of the exhaust pipe, and if I open the top of the air box after I shut the bike off and open the throttle so the plates in the throttle body are open I can see some white smoke snaking out of there too...

Do you guys think it is my head gasket? I just did a lot of engine work to it. Valve adjustment, plugs, new oil, new fpr, new cct. whole new wiring harness as well. Its an older bike but this is the first time I've seen it do this.

Also, when I took it out for a ride the oil was clear in the viewing glass before leaving and when I got back (only rode a couple miles) the oil looked more watery (less dense) or maybe kind of milky?

Thanks to anyone that can provide help.

cpark_12 09-20-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by EA (Post 1101073)
How would anyone know that it is just gunk on the crankcase from old oil without actually pulling apart the engine to see if the head gasket wasn't blown first?

I'm asking because I have this same problem. Slight smoking out of the exhaust pipe, and if I open the top of the air box after I shut the bike off and open the throttle so the plates in the throttle body are open I can see some white smoke snaking out of there too...

Do you guys think it is my head gasket? I just did a lot of engine work to it. Valve adjustment, plugs, new oil, new fpr, new cct. whole new wiring harness as well. Its an older bike but this is the first time I've seen it do this.

Also, when I took it out for a ride the oil was clear in the viewing glass before leaving and when I got back (only rode a couple miles) the oil looked more watery (less dense) or maybe kind of milky?

Thanks to anyone that can provide help.

the watery/milky looking oil sounds like a blown/leaking head gasket. does it run any hotter than normal?