CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Where else to look to buy? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/where-else-look-buy-100601/)

JaBr1884 09-09-2009 08:36 PM

Where else to look to buy?

Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum and plan to become part of it once I find the F4i I'm looking for. So far it seems the best place to look for the best value and widest variety of F4i's is Craig's list. I've been looking at other options though, such as the wanted and sales section of this forum. Ebay doesn't seem to be a real option with bikes, and prices are high IMHO. So...

Are there any other options I might not be aware of when it comes to searching for that perfect bike?

I'm looking for an F4i, hopefully in good condition and I'd prefer it to be silver with black decals. I've set my limit at $3,500, which I have available and seems close to some CL offers. With other ideas of where to look, do you think I'll find what I want for < $3,500?

JHouse 09-09-2009 08:40 PM

http://www.cycletrader.com/

And use the advanced search, it is really cool.

And look up at the top for the link to classiccycletrader.com

It's for bike made in 94 and older. That's were I found mine.

bwayers 09-09-2009 09:25 PM

check dealers, i know they're usually overpriced but most honda dealers will only take trades that are in great condition

Berto 09-10-2009 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by JaBr1884 (Post 835217)
Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum and plan to become part of it once I find the F4i I'm looking for. So far it seems the best place to look for the best value and widest variety of F4i's is Craig's list. I've been looking at other options though, such as the wanted and sales section of this forum. Ebay doesn't seem to be a real option with bikes, and prices are high IMHO. So...

Are there any other options I might not be aware of when it comes to searching for that perfect bike?

I'm looking for an F4i, hopefully in good condition and I'd prefer it to be silver with black decals. I've set my limit at $3,500, which I have available and seems close to some CL offers. With other ideas of where to look, do you think I'll find what I want for < $3,500?

I would disagree that e-bay isn't an option. In fact, I'd say it's the best option. Two years ago, I bought my 2006 F4i and got a smoking good deal on it, plus a great trip riding it back from Pennsylvania to Florida.

In June, I bought a 2004 Triumph Sprint on e-bay. Again, an excellent deal and another ride great ride home. E-bay sellers tend to be more honest that Craigs, because Craigs isn't policed. Experienced e-bay sellers guard their reps. That's not to say you can't get burned, but that's true of any source.

For a sense of cost/value, log onto e-bay and specify the CBR, then search completed listings. This will give you actual sale prices, not the bid, the buy now or what the owner thinks the the thing is worth. Lots of bikes don't sell and owners are open for a second-chance offer. That's what I did on the F4i.

Second, find out about sniping. It works great and if you know what you're willing to pay, just snipe that value and let the cards fall.

Either way, good luck with it. You'll like the bike. There are a bunch of good deals out there.

--Paul

JHouse 09-10-2009 10:40 AM

I think prices vary with the news. Wait till the next round of relentless and really bad economic news (shouldn't be too much longer) and prices will get more reasonable.

JaBr1884 09-10-2009 02:44 PM

Ah man, I typed out this long post only to find out I wasn't logged in (not saving login at work) and lost it all :(

Thanks for the information guys, it's much appreciated.

A member of the forum contacted me with a low mileage, stock F4i of the color of choice. I am considering his offer which is slightly more than what I wanted to spend but the condition of the bike seems worth the extra amount. If this doesn't come through, I'll continue to look for a bike on Craig's list twice a day, Cycletrader once a day (not too many options for F4i's from baltimore to Philly), and I'll keep giving Ebay a chance, maybe it was just the Holiday weekend jacking up prices somehow.

If this other option that came to me today works out, I'll be sure to post the find.

f4itypeofguy 09-10-2009 04:42 PM

ebay

i also agree that ebay is a great place to find a deal....only if its an auction. Not that im bragging( okay maybe i am) but i found a 2006 f4i with 400 miles for $5600. A little more than your looking to spend but i was just using that as an example...so keep your eyes peels

Berto 09-11-2009 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by f4itypeofguy (Post 835603)
i also agree that ebay is a great place to find a deal....only if its an auction. Not that im bragging( okay maybe i am) but i found a 2006 f4i with 400 miles for $5600. A little more than your looking to spend but i was just using that as an example...so keep your eyes peels

OK, well, if we're bragging here...

My 2006 with 1700 miles on it cost $5200--two years ago.

Point is, e-bay really is a good place to buy motorcycles. Only downside, you usually have to buy sight unseen. With a new Honda, I wasn't the least bit worried about that.

--Paul

mpz 09-12-2009 04:25 PM

Regional motorcycle forums are good and have wide array of bikes, GL.