F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

When do I know my clutch is going out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do I know my clutch is going out?

I have been feeling my clutch a little weird since the first time that I got it I might need a new clutch because the clutch cable wire is fully extended already.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Default RE: When do I know my clutch is going out?

I have replaced two clutches now. One way is your on the highway in 6th gear, you rip on the throttle as hard as you can, the bike does not accelerate, the rpms go up and then the clutch grabs and you eventually accelerate. You can be in lower gears and the same results happen also. Also when you first take off, it feels like the bike isn't grabbing as it should.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I was just wondering is there a way you can burn out your clutch really fast?

I've heard conflicting stories about how motorcycle clutches can be similar to cars that if you ride the clutch or overuse it, you can burn it out.

What I'm really asking is this true for our F4I's and how would you burn out a clutch on a motorcycle (specifically ours, but in general too)

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM

Oh there are a couple of good ways to burn them up. You could over heat your bike, burning up your oil which in hand burns up the clutch plates. That would be riding too high of rpms in weather thats too hot. Revving up your bike at a light, while sitting still with no air movement. You can do burn outs, that tears up a clutch. Slippin the clutch is how wheelies are done, doing it too much can burn it up.

But there are some who are still on a stock clutch and do burn outs, slip the clutch popping wheelies all the time. There are quite a few factors that can cause it. These are a few that come to mind. Don't change your oil. breaks down the viscosity of the oil can help burn it up too.

If you drive like a p*ssy, then your clutch can last you a very long time. Ride like "superbikes" and you can change a clutch every year.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So if I am correct, normal riding and just using the clutch really won't burn it out, it will burn out that way just because of normal wear and tear?

About that revving the engine (and I know that every situation is different). If I'm at a light and decide to rev up the engine to hear that sexy roar (maybe a rev or two) can that really burn the clutch out faster?

Now I know that revving up the engine when the engine temperature is above like 220F while the fan is on isn't recommended and long continuous revving is also bad, is that same bad effect happening when revving just a little bit?

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:36 PM

revving it won't hurt it too much, when your already at 225 and you continue to rev it and it gets all the way to 250 like i did. that oil in it was literally boiling in the engine. So it cost me a new clutch after that night of revving, not to include the numerous wheelies that I popped that night too. I could have still rode with that clutch but I could feel that it wasn't grabbing like it should. SoI put a new one it.