F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Whats the best oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best oil to use?

I want to know what the best oil to use? because I am going to do my own oil changes since its cheaper and you get to do something with your own bike.

Also how much can it all come out to with the oil filter?

Old 11-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Default RE: Whats the best oil to use?

Your going to get a ton of answers on this but this is. What i use and will stick by it forever. 10w-40 Amsoil, OEM honda filter(Best filtration there is out there) dont be fooled by K&N and other products although they are just as good The OEM honda Filter statistics dont lie I believe on this forum they took apart a OEM honda filter and aftermarket K&N one Honda is the BEST. This cost me $40.78 for the oil and filter. Not that high but not the cheapeast. Never be cheap when it comes to oil. O and dont forget to get a new drain plug washer i believe the size is 12mm.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you don't over-torque the drain plug.Use a torque wrench.

It's my belief that it's not so much the brand that's important, as is sticking to regularly scheduled changes. I have a '95 Subaru with 150,000 miles on it and haveused Castrol "dino" oil (mainly) through it. Is it the oil, or the excellent engine design? Or both.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM

I use Mobil Mx4t, its about 10 bucks a quart, all in all its about 40 bucks

Old 11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobil 1 10w-40 or 15w-50 (depending on temps... both auto oils) and either OEM or K&N filter. Been using this combo for the past 135,000 miles, still runs like new and doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil, and the inside of the motor is absolutely spotless so it must be working

Oh yea... changed like clockwork every 5,000 miles

Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM

This is without a doubt the most speculated and debated topic in all of motorvehicledom. After much reading and research (I've always loved researching oil) I have the best and most definitive answer you will ever need, unfortunately its a multi-part answer and for cars/trucks the mileage varies compared to bikes but I'll give the answer in bike format.

If you are the type of person that rides occaisionally and is not too hard on the motorand will never put more than 10,000 miles on a bike before selling it then use any name brand conventional oil that your nearest store sells. Despite what people will tell you each brand of conventional oil is somewhat different from the next and manufacturers of oil do have independent formulas but the end results once any conventional oilis inside the motor are generally equal especially if you are the low mileage, low rpm type of bike owner. Just change it regularly. Regular change intervals for the easy going rider are just as important as what type of oil you use.

If you are the type of owner that rides often, rides hard, and wants his bike to last as long as possible in terms of years/miles then use a better quality (synthetic) oil. I use Amsoil 10-40 and a Mobil 1 filter although I wouldalsobe comfortable using the "long" Honda filter that fits an F4i. Mobil 1 part # is M1-110. Motorcycles put greater stress on oil since the oil lubes the motor and also functions as a transmission lubricant constantly undergoing shearing forces through the gears turning at very high speeds. This is where asynthetic oil is better in a bike because the polymer chains hold up much better through the gears meshing together. High heat resistance is also a plus too synthetics and about 20 other reasons as well. Oh yeah, oils formulated for cars also don't have the high rpm anti-foaming agents that bike oils do.

If you are the type of rider who rides rarely, possibly monthsbetween ridesand likes to use his bike to keep his driveway from blowing away then also use the synthetic because cheap oil will develop an acidic PH that will eat away at engine internals over time.

There really is no "one" best oil because even the highest quality most expensive synthetics like Motul are tops in some categories and average in others. I think the all around champ is Amsoil. Whatever you use just change it regularly. The **** will break down no matter what kind you buy so don't be lazy.

This is probably the best oil read I have found: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Another: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/index.html

Old 11-16-2008, 10:27 AM

Use Honda HP4 Gold and Hondaoem filter,although its not a FULL synthetic its the best from the Honda lineup. However that being said they just came out w a FULL synthetic HP4 its a Red bottle. Prob what ill get next, but i had almost a full bottel of Gold left, so next change ill prob opt for the new Red bottle. I never skimp on oil, why so you can save $30 who cares, for 1 change per year its worth the extra $, just my 2 cents

Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 AM

Whatever is on sale at autozone.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:36 AM

Anyone tried Motul 300V full sintetic, 10W40? RuLLz!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: adidas00

Anyone tried Motul 300V full sintetic, 10W40? RuLLz!
Tests I read said that oil was one of the best available when first poured in but quickly lost its viscosity. Quicker than other synthetics. Supposed to be formulated as a race oil which is to be changed frequently.