F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

What would happen- Suspension setting

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What would happen- Suspension setting

Can someone tell me what would happen if you changed your forks to the following setting:
Rebound 1 turn out from fully open
Compression 1 turn out from fully open
Seems to me that the bike would po-go. Can someone please confirm?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What would happen- Suspension setting

yes the front end would pogo. You can also expect alot of dip in the front during hard breaking as well as the potential to run wide in corners after accelaration has started due to the front riding high as the front will unload quickly after the weight shift on accell. You will also have a very vague feeling at the clip-ons.

Your suspension works together front and rear. It all has to be in harmony to get the best handling. For example : If you have to much rebound damping plus not enough compression damping in the rear and not enough rebound dampening in the front the rear will "pack" down in corners and you will run wide due to the nose high attitude.

My point is they all play off each other and this is assuming your sag is correct. Once you have the sag correct then the rest is understanding what each adjustment does to handling and what combinations of adjustments do.

For an F4i start off the setting the sag correctly. Then adjust all damping to 1/2 turns out from full stiff. Once you get feedback after riding adjust from there. If your rear is packing down then loosen the rebound in the rear a 1/4 turn as an example.

Suspension can be confusing and I'm sure I didnt help anything. Read some suspension articles to understand what it all means. Just random cranking will get the bike all out of shape. Sportrider.com has some great articles on this.

Later.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What would happen- Suspension setting

Thanks for confirming what I already knew. I just had a jacka** suspension guy tell me after I asked for my money back that my settings were set like that before he started twiddling with it. Intuition told me that I shouldn't fool with this guy. I should have listened. I don't know what my original settings were after getting it back from the original installer. Guess it will be custom from now on.