F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

what kind of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what kind of gas?

ORIGINAL: devlzluv
get a higher rated gas. burns cleaner in ur engine dont go cheap on her plz spend the extra 20-30 cents and get the good ****
Higher octane will not necessarily burn cleaner. If anything, you might have more unburnt fuel. Higher octane means the fuel is harder to ignite and you'll have less premature ignition (which you'd experience as knocking) in a high-compression engine. If your engine was designed to use 89 octane, you'll gain nothing by using 91. But if you use 87, the fuel injection system will have to adjust for it by running richer. This will decrease fuel economy, and top-end power. So if you get better mileage with 91, it's an indication that you're maximizing the engine's performance. If your mileage is the same, it's an indication that you're just wasting your money.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Gasoline.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Old 03-15-2007, 01:51 PM

yo...do a search before you post things like this...the search function is your friend.

use the least amount of octane required to prevent predetonation...that's what you need to run optimally...so stop wasting your money withfalse claims of better this better that...the only thing better is you may feel better about yourself putting higher than needed octane in.

high octane does not equal high quality...indicates more resistance to combustion...so stay in school and learn this stuff...

AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION

Old 03-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 there is a ton of info out there on this subject but you always get guys saying run premium gas it's better. My bike works noticeably better on regular.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:27 PM

haha he said stay in school!!!!! i dont want to run into this arguement because its been done to death on this forum. so guys, please do use theseach feature.

i run 87 or 89 for most part in summer. i wouldnt use 91+ in the summer. high octane ponetial will catch up with you when you pull up to a red light in the middle of summer.... you will burn the hair of your legs if you know what i mean.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:29 PM

i have a gas station around here that has 110 5 bucks a gallon if i feel crazy ill mix that in...

but i guess it does nothing from what i read....[:@]

Old 03-15-2007, 06:36 PM

well...even if you aren't tuned for it...i guess using higher otane 'could' make you go faster...cause it reduces the overall rider weight, but reducing the weight of your wallet! mauahahhahahha...

so either you tune for it, have the mods needing it (timing, turbo, etc.) or have an engine that's so gunked up that it burns way hotter than normal from carbon build up.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Unleaded. lol, If you ever get to go to Sturgis, they have 100 octane up there. Brought in just for the rally.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:28 PM
IDL

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

well...even if you aren't tuned for it...i guess using higher otane 'could' make you go faster...cause it reduces the overall rider weight, but reducing the weight of your wallet! mauahahhahahha...
lol, good point on rider weight!

I put 91 in when I first got my bike not knowing anything. Now I put 87 in and I don't notice a difference. I think 87 is better if anything, but it's hard to tell the difference.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:54 PM

on 87 you get the quickest response (my opinion), power wise its kinda subjective too. everyone feels it difference and there arent any fact sheets on the net.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 AM

i agree with tahoe100% i was runing 87 but i run 89 in my bike now other wise it knocks a little i have no idea why.

Quick Reply: what kind of gas?