F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

What gas do u use and a weird noise??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What gas do u use and a weird noise??

I mix 87 and 92 so I'm like putting 89 or 90 lol, just put any gas in it and it will move that's all you need to know.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Yes then lets all change our oil filters at 10k miles as well....

I'm an auto tech full time and trust me i've seen what happens to cars after not even changing your oil for 8k miles. There police cruisers so ok i understand it makes a difference.

So you honestly think that 87 octane is the same thing as 93 octane? I run my bike hard and run my car hard, i understand the manual says 87 put ive seen how absolutely nasty regular gas gets and id rather pay the extra 10c to make sure my bike runs clean and runs for a long time. My car has 136k miles ran on 93 and never replaced a fuel filter/fuel pump/injectors...

So if you can give me PROOF that using 93 in something thats rated 87, hurts the bike and performance then no offense i just wont believe you.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:09 PM

lol 87 nasty ,the gas isnt nasty its the stations that serve it(and the old tanks the gas sits in)..
Ive seen 300k toyotas that never changed fuel filters/injectors or pumps and ran on 87 so what does that mean ...Nothing..Gas is gas ,unless you can change the timing to make use of the extra octane.Using higher octane is a waste..Even though our bikes have high compression they are DESIGNED to run on 87.

Another addition n 87 i get 150~160 to tank before reserve light hits ,93 in tank i get 120~130 max(same route ,same riding )..Does it hurt the bike.No but it effects the mileage i get.

Another common misconception is that higher octane gasoline contains more cleaning additives than lower octane gas. All octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against engine deposit build-up.Certain high performance engines benefit from use of high octane fuel. For other engines, using a fuel with a higher octane rating than the vehicle requires sends unburned fuel into the emissions system and catalytic converter(aka sulfer smell is from additives and using to high of a octane)..

Been a tech for 17 years..I can argue the gas thing all day long..Its like someone telling me i couldnt make 600rwhp on pump gas safely,its all in the timing and air/fuel setup..Just like our bikes..

IF we had knock sensors or a way the engine could use the extra octane then i say 93 but till then 87 should work fine...Take into effect on other bikes that have more aggressive timing they REQUIRE 93,like a few buddies that have gixxers they REQUIRE 93..

Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 PM

I get 150-160 and been using 93 since i bought the bike so what does that proove? Again absolutely nothing..the gas argument is pointless..people who think there right wont admit there wrong.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: bluej511

And if you don't believe that well a friend of mine had a 98 Camry that reguired regular, he put in super and the thing had over 250,000mi when he sold it. I told him, hey its useless to put in super it only costs more and doesn't change performance. He put in one tank of regular and his car pinged and ran like ****.
Ok, first thing is that the 98 Camry with the 5SFE engine is probably one of the best engines Toyota has ever put together. It is not at all uncommon to see one with 300,000 miles on it using REGULAR 87 OCTANE. You're going to have to pick a different car if you want to attribute the mileage to the type of gas used. Ask any diehard Toyota owner to list the top 5 engines Toyota has ever made (not including the JZGE series in the Supra and the SGE in the 2nd gen MR2's as we all know they are bulletproof) and the 5SFE will be among them. So, I'd say your friend has 250,000 miles on that Camry b/c he's driving a car with one hell of a well built engine.

...and you're forgetting ThirdGenLxi has over 100,000 miles on his F4i. If he says he's only used 87 octane...it's certainly good enough for me.

So, we have a member who's only used 87 octane and he's put over 100,000 miles on his F4i and says it still runs as good as the day he bought. I seriously doubt any one else here will keep their F4i to 100,000 miles.

It's 87 octane for me. IF...and it's a big IF...if I were to start pinging I would bump up the octane until the ping went away. Otherwise...the F4i does NOT require premium gasoline. Period.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: MotoGPFan26

ORIGINAL: bluej511

And if you don't believe that well a friend of mine had a 98 Camry that reguired regular, he put in super and the thing had over 250,000mi when he sold it. I told him, hey its useless to put in super it only costs more and doesn't change performance. He put in one tank of regular and his car pinged and ran like ****.
Ok, first thing is that the 98 Camry with the 5SFE engine is probably one of the best engines Toyota has ever put together. It is not at all uncommon to see one with 300,000 miles on it using REGULAR 87 OCTANE. You're going to have to pick a different car if you want to attribute the mileage to the type of gas used. Ask any diehard Toyota owner to list the top 5 engines Toyota has ever made (not including the JZGE series in the Supra and the SGE in the 2nd gen MR2's as we all know they are bulletproof) and the 5SFE will be among them. So, I'd say your friend has 250,000 miles on that Camry b/c he's driving a car with one hell of a well built engine. I can post this as I have NEVER owned a vehicle that wasn't a Toyota...and I've owned something close to30 different Toyotasthree quartersof which were bought brand spankin new. My favorite engine has always been the 3SGTE in my 94 boostedMR2. Anyway...

...and you're forgetting ThirdGenLxi has over 100,000 miles on his F4i. If he says he's only used 87 octane...it's certainly good enough for me.

So, we have a member who's only used 87 octane and he's put over 100,000 miles on his F4i and says it still runs as good as the day he bought. I seriously doubt any one else here will keep their F4i to 100,000 miles.

It's 87 octane for me. IF...and it's a big IF...if I were to start pinging I would bump up the octane until the ping went away. Otherwise...the F4i does NOT require premium gasoline. Period.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:29 PM

its so hard to figure out the gasoline rating these days. I say why fill up with expensive *** fuel when you can fill up with water for free?

Old 11-04-2007, 02:28 PM

Another useless "what fuel do you use?" thread. Bottom line USE Regular 87 as per your manual. Those who use anything higher, good for you and suporting the oil companies.... if you would do some technical research into Gasoline and what Octane ratings really mean, you would change your decision.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:38 PM

The octane rating is a measure of the autoignition resistance of gasoline (petrol) and other fuels used in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. It is a measure of anti-detonation of a gasoline or fuel. Octane number is the number which gives the percentage, by volume, of iso-octane in a mixture of iso-octane and normal heptane, that would have the same anti-knocking capacity as the fuel which is under consideration. For example, gasoline with the same knocking characteristics as a mixture of 90% iso-octane and 10% heptane would have an octane rating of 90. [1]
Theres your definition. I don't even wanna try and think about the bike pinging so instead of using 87 i just use 93. We don't have 91 like you guys in cali.

Some new cars are also bi-fuel, they run on regular and E-85 (which btw has an octane rating of 105). ie 2008 Crown Victoria....MPG decreases because of the huge 18 point difference. But between 87-91/93 is incredibly minimal. So as you can see on cars that can run ethanol (and trust me nothing in the car has changed fuel/air/spark only the computer management)

It's not going to hurt the bike, its not gonna harm performance or mpg. And if you really think that just buying super suports the oil companies because "they say to use super" well man your a sad sad person.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome debate...it really weeds out and let's us know who to take our vehicles to and who NOT to take our vehicles to. because you are a mechanic just means you know how to take things apart and put them back together. it doesn't mean you know the engineering behind it. if you think 87 is nasty, head back to school. if you think running higher octane is better for a vehicle when it does not need it, head back to school.

FYI...newer baller cars have 10K OCI's....and it works fine for them.

case by case basis...the thicker the head, the thinner the wallet.

you have the facts...use them anyway you want it...use whatever gas you want or don't want to use.

Quick Reply: What gas do u use and a weird noise??