F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

What gas do u use and a weird noise??

Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gas do u use and a weird noise??

Hey guys i just got my bike its a 2002 and i have read that u must use preimum gas and not regular? i have only filled up once so far and used regular because i didnt know any better. Does everyone here use the gold?

It mentioned in the manual that you will hear sputtering in the engine using the cheaper gas i hope i havent done any damage.

Oh and the sound i hear between 5K-6K rpms its more like a vibration then once i gas it a bit it goes away. Any thoughts?? its a 2002 cbr F4i with 21K on it.

Thank you,

Cnestea

Old 11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What gas do u use and a weird noise??

Premium of course...

Come on now - in 21K miles it's burned through 525 Gallons of gas which assuming premium is a whopping 15 cents more/per gallon amounts to $78 over the life of the bike so far? $15/year

Small price to pay for a reduction in pinging on a high compression high performance engine. - I think it really amounts to what 70 Cents per fill? (I think premium is a 10 cent add in North Dakota anyways) - I run it in all my vehicles, yes even the Caravan - That vehicle pings the most if I don't, and I have a lead foot in it.

Oh on the weird noise - sounds definitely like your Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) - Lots of posts on this one - do a search - Check the How to section - details what needs to be done to correct it.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:34 AM

I run regular gas - spec is in manual
+1 on CCT / CCTL

Old 11-01-2007, 10:50 AM

I remember the manual calls for using 86/87 oct. If I find it then Ill comfirm.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use 87... it's what the manual calls for. If it pings, bump it up to 89. "premium" (<--- marketing gimmick... there's absolutely nothing premium about it) is nothing more than 'watered down' (figuratively speaking) 87 octane. Using premium in an engine that's designed to run on 86/87 octane will only hurt the performance, being that you're using a fuel that has a higher resistance to ignite. If it required premium fuel, it would say so in the manual If not, you're only throwing extra $$ away to lower your performance... doesn't make sense

I always use 87 on mine and it works perfectly fine

And +1 to the CCT... more than likely that's what's causing your noise. An APE manual CCT works wonders!

Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 AM

yeah i agree with jared. i used to think the same way to always use 91 premium octane but after reading a thread stating the differences in fuel (also look up "octane" in wikipedia.com) i decided that it does make a difference in terms of how the fuel burns. the octane is what causes the fuel to ignite slower/faster, hence it relates to combustion.

i use 87 octane and it works fine for me... i would probably say that (relative to cars) if you mess with your timing on your motor (ie. like valves on a car, retard or advance) then you would need to up your octane due to how the engine performs to compensate for that adjustment. but then again.. .that's just what i heard... so just use 87.

"if it aint broken why fix it"

Old 11-02-2007, 05:47 AM

Its funny how everyone knocks on 91-93 (which is premium btw). The differences are that its no marketing gimmick that in 91-93 there is more additives, more cleaning agents (trust me a very good friend of mine works in the oil/gas industry)

And if you don't believe that well a friend of mine had a 98 Camry that reguired regular, he put in super and the thing had over 250,000mi when he sold it. I told him, hey its useless to put in super it only costs more and doesn't change performance. He put in one tank of regular and his car pinged and ran like ****.

Yes is it designed to run on regular but its complete bull**** that it will hurt performance. Take 2 of the same bikes, brand new fill one with super and one with regular and whats going to happen? Nothing at all.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:16 AM

i think some one on this post should do some research, reading, and studying before they post absolute BS.
1. do what your manual says...
2. if it pings, then bump it up.
3. jared is right.
4. when a car starts getting old, deposits in the engine will cause it to burn hotter. so you'll need higher octane to prevent predetonation, which is why most old a$$ cars that were spec'd on regular have to use higher octane as they age.

so see...it's MOSTLY about doing what the manufacturer says...and after that it's about doing what the vehicle wants...

so for a new bike...using more than what is recommended regardless of compression, timing, etc. if futile, because not ONE of those dictate what gas to use, but all of them together are tuned to whatever gas the tuning requires.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 AM

This is worse than an Oil debate [sm=vader.gif]

Do what you like, I'll do the same[sm=bicker.gif] - Obviously I'm with BlueJ on this one and will pay the 50 cents more each fill to run the Gold - makes me feel good - may not make you feel good. (Oh and sorry - had to start playing with the smileys - I'll try keep them down on future posts...)

Old 11-02-2007, 02:36 PM

this is lamer than the oil debate...why? because the facts and science all points in one direction...but people still look in the other, which is totally fine...but when this information is misleading, then it becomes a problem.

it doesn't bug me what people put in their bikes...as a mod, i have to make sure any information posted is true and correct. when it's not, then it's refuted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What gas do u use and a weird noise??