CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   What do you do if your chain comes off riding? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/what-do-you-do-if-your-chain-comes-off-riding-104792/)

Zero1080 01-13-2010 02:09 AM

What do you do if your chain comes off riding?

It's supposed to be above freezing all this week, EVEN 39 and SUNNY on Saturday, so I may be taking the bike out.

Anyways, on to the main topic. I plan on doing some highway riding once the weather gets better, however I have on HUGE fear. That's the chain coming off while riding. Whether it breaks, or just misses a tooth and jumps, anything really. What do I do once/if I'm on the shoulder? I will have my basic tool kit with me, but am I able to put it back on?

HenryM 01-13-2010 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Zero1080 (Post 873305)
It's supposed to be above freezing all this week, EVEN 39 and SUNNY on Saturday, so I may be taking the bike out.

Anyways, on to the main topic. I plan on doing some highway riding once the weather gets better, however I have on HUGE fear. That's the chain coming off while riding. Whether it breaks, or just misses a tooth and jumps, anything really. What do I do once/if I'm on the shoulder? I will have my basic tool kit with me, but am I able to put it back on?

If it isn't broken and it hasn't broken you then you should be able to put it back on fairly easily.
If you've got it tensioned properly and the sprockets are not badly worn the chances of a chain coming off are very slim indeed. I'm not sure why you should be so paranoid about it.
If you did have to put it back on at the road side you can try to hook it back on to the sprocket and then reverse the bike a bit until it's back on the teeth.
Worst case you may need to loosen the back spindle and slacken off the tensioners a bit. A basic tool kit should allow you to do that at least.
Check it before you go out and stop having night mares! :icon_no:

Kuroshio 01-13-2010 05:05 AM

Ehh... Pretty sure you won't be in any condition to worry bout putting the chain back on. You'll prolly be needing one or two bottles of tequila after the experience.

As HenryM said so long as everything is proper (tension, wear, properly installed in the first place) the chances are prolly around that of hitting the Pick 5 lotto. A broken chain will likely be impossible to repair. Slipped off, follow what he said.

Tho personally I'd be calling the tow truck and trying to locate the 2 bottles of tequila if it happened to me. Definitely would be done riding for that day

bambam 01-13-2010 06:40 AM

ive seen alot of hard core riders and even peeps that beet on their bikes and i have never seen a chain break, if you keep proper tension and lube you will be fine... however if yer sprockets are super worn down, and chain tension is not rite, then you could wind up jumpin off, but again, do your maint or for your peece of mind go ahead and replace chain and sprocs and put that fear to rest...

dave ls1 01-13-2010 07:21 AM

If the chain breaks, a lot of things can happen. I once saw the chain jam between the swingarm and the wheel hub, locked it up good. Also seen it fly off toward the rear and hit the person riding behind in the face shield - thank goodness for helmets. Sometimes they break the engine case... never know what's gonna happen.

Jmclmorrow 01-13-2010 08:52 AM

If you keep the chain at the correct tightness and your sprockets arn't really really worn then I wouldnt worry about it. I have never seen a chain break or hop off

gump 01-13-2010 09:47 AM

I had an old dirtbike that would throw chains all the time. The worst thing about it was deciding if i should wait for a friend to help me put the bike in a truck or just push it home.. Once I pushed it maybe 3 miles home but that was the first time it broke and before any of us drove..

dr2i4ve 01-13-2010 12:12 PM

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but it seems appropriate :)

Anyone have pics / documentation to loosen and tighten the chain on an 04 Honda CBR?

Also, how difficult is it to change rear sprockets?

Bently600 01-13-2010 02:18 PM

As said above: you shouldn't worry about chain coming off unless you are in desperate need of chain maintenance.

If a chain did break at hwy speeds you should be more worried about the chain going right through the engine case (trashing the engine) or wrapping around or going right through your calf (ripping your left leg to shreds). in either case you shouldn't stress about how to get the chain back on.

Zero1080 01-13-2010 02:39 PM

Alright. I appreciate the peace of mind. That was like my big fear for my trips this summer, cause I'd be stranded. But now I'll ride not worrying! Thanks.