CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   What to do, powdercoated rims? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/what-do-powdercoated-rims-110926/)

Timmy_Jones 05-20-2010 01:08 PM

What to do, powdercoated rims?

Have a standard silver/red F4i and tires are shot...WOO HOOO! Time to dismount the rims and get them coated....what color?

Both red? Rear red/front silver? Vice/versa? Black? Chrome? Silver?

__Z__ 05-20-2010 01:15 PM

red to match ur wing...

Sick97SS 05-20-2010 02:08 PM

Much much does it cost to send your rims out to get a nice powder coat?

__Z__ 05-20-2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS (Post 923399)

to much :icon_doh: im glad i know someone....

kilgoretrout 05-20-2010 02:33 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't try to send them out. That costs a lot more. Look for a local powder guy instead.
There is a shop about 5miles from where I work that does 4 car wheel specials for $100. He can do a ton of colors, too.
I'm thinking about getting mine done next time around. It can't be too much.

Duo Maxwell 05-20-2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS (Post 923399)

Originally Posted by zmds18 (Post 923402)
to much :icon_doh: im glad i know someone....

get in touch with purpleslug sick he can do them for you and is prolly the best priced ive seen

The cost isn't really in the powdercoating as much as it is in the fact that you have to remove the tire, remove the bearings from the wheel, buy new bearings and press them in, then remount/balance the tire.

If you take a wheel with no tire/bearings in it to a powdercoating shop it will cost you around 60-100 bucks a wheel for powdercoat depending on what kind of color you want, what shop you go to, and what area you live in. If you have a local bike shop that does maintenance they will probably have someone they work with who gives them kickbacks -- so you'll probably get a good price if you ask them.

__Z__ 05-20-2010 02:53 PM

price is actually mostly in removal of previous coatings i beleive, alot of shops require you to take everything off b4 you come to them... my buddy does mine for free but i have to do all the prep work including removing the old coatings... (not a big deal bc i have another friend with a industrial sand blaster)

Indiana 05-20-2010 03:14 PM

I think silver in the front, and red in the rear would look pretty slick. There black now right ? I have a buddy that does all my powder coating thankfully. He only charges me the beer we drink while doing it lol. We just did my front, and rear sets, heel guards, levers, helmet pegs, and rear brake hose hold downs. Gonna do my side covers, and rear sprocket this winter :)

__Z__ 05-20-2010 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana (Post 923429)
I think silver in the front, and red in the rear would look pretty slick. There black now right ? I have a buddy that does all my powder coating thankfully. He only charges me the beer we drink while doing it lol. We just did my front, and rear sets, heel guards, levers, helmet pegs, and rear brake hose hold downs. Gonna do my side covers, and rear sprocket this winter :)

GEESH sounds like ferrari project may have some competition...

Indiana 05-20-2010 03:30 PM

Z you are very dedicated to your ride brother, I wouldn't look at it as competition. I need to get some pics up of my bike, but I am to embarresed since its still got the stock pipe on it lol... I got some carbon fiber goodies comein, and I can't wait ! Heel guards, front fender, ram air ducts, and a Yosh TRS gonna be baaaaaad. Sorry bout the thead jack Tim !!