CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   What to do with old bike? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/what-do-old-bike-158690/)

kowen1208 03-08-2019 04:43 PM

What to do with old bike?

I've had an '01 F4i for several years now. It wasn't in the greatest shape when I bought it, it's condition continued to decline over the years, and then it was stolen and left at a school with additional damage. It has about 45k miles on it.

I bought an '04 F4i this winter, 12k miles, mostly stock, with minor cosmetic damage.

Now I'm trying to figure out my options. Should I sell the '01 as-is for whatever I can get? Should I part it out? Should I fix it up and sell it for as much as possible? Here's what I'm working with:

'01 needs:
  • Replacement plastics. Most of these can be taken from the '04 and patched/painted. The exception being the tail, which I can get for about $45.
  • Seat re-upholstery. I think I can get it done for around $100, but not totally sure. Anyone with experience?
  • Muffler mounting bracket. The bike has Devil duel mufflers, which is barely hanging on by the broken mounting bracket. I'm guessing having a new bracket fab-ed will be relatively expensive, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to find another muffler for a reasonable price.
  • Ignition cylinder. The key still works, but so will a screwdriver. Should I bother?
  • Brake lever. It was broken off when the thief "returned" it. Not too worried, as aftermarket replacements are pretty cheap.
  • Minor electrical work to patch wires that were damaged when it was stolen.
  • Fork seal leak, which I bought the parts for before it was stolen.
'04 needs:
  • Replacement plastics. I can get them pre-painted to match for under $600 from absfairings.com. Anyone have any experience with them? I can actually live with the current plastics the way they are, but I think this would be the most efficient move if I'm going to fix up the '01.
  • Clutch cover. Again, I can live with it as is, but if I'm going to replace the plastics, I may as well swap the clutch covers between the two bikes.
So what would you do? Any opinions, advice, or personal experience would be amazing. Thanks!

CaBaRet 03-09-2019 12:59 AM

If you dont need 2 bikes ,I would sell the 01 and use that money for updating the 04;)

wes 17 03-09-2019 04:10 AM

Do you have a young family member who shows a keen interest in our two wheel addiction ?
Sounds like a project that could either shape a relationship maybe, or give someone or hopefully both of you a building experience you could both enjoy.
Theres not a large expense here and you might find that the time spent with your “apprentice” just as valuable as the bike when she’s done.

74demon 03-09-2019 07:52 AM

Turn the 01 into a track bike.

kowen1208 03-09-2019 03:10 PM

I don't need two bikes, and I'm not interested in having a track bike, but maybe I could teach my wife how to ride on the '01 before I do anything with the plastics. That way I won't have to worry too much about if she drops it. Hmmm, something to think about...

Doc Samson 03-09-2019 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by kowen1208 (Post 1319644)
I don't need two bikes, and I'm not interested in having a track bike, but maybe I could teach my wife how to ride on the '01 before I do anything with the plastics. That way I won't have to worry too much about if she drops it. Hmmm, something to think about...

Sounds like a plan, man! Otherwise, I'd be inclined to sell the '01 for whatever you can get and put the $$$ into the '04...

boredandstroked 03-12-2019 07:04 PM

Make the 01 into a stunt bike. Sell to a kid who thinks its "dope"