F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

What Do I Do?!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both sides are the same, take the fairings off and inspect it. I have been down hard on a bike before, and f4i to be exact.... frame was fine

Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 PM
October 2011 ROTM

The only way to really know is to ride it. As its moving you will be able to tell if something is bent or our of alignment. Just by looking at it you probably can't tell. Do you have a friend or someone that can ride it?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 PM

Out- he said he slid it on gravel and tar. And had to ride it home and nothing seemed different.

R Dub- all of my friends ride dirtbikes, but none of them have they're street license.. =( any other way??

Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 PM

Id be more inclined to worry about things like the forks, swing arms and wheels.

If your new to buying bikes.
Sit on the bike and bounce the bike up and down then check the forks chrome area for oil left behind. If so it need for seals.

Check the chain play up and down Should be 3/4 an inch. Then check the chain wear indicator near the rear axle nut.

Check the engine covers for heavy scrapes or leaks, check the radiator stays for bends, check the upper fairing stay and rear of the headlamp for cracks.

Check the oil level, and find out what brand was used. Run the bike and slowly give it gas and listen for cam chain rattle and valve slap. See if the throttle sticks, check the exhaust for smoke blue in color is bad, white is very bad.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Really there is not another way. Riding it at speed is really the only way to know if the wheels are straight, forks are straight, brakes are okay, trans shifts good and motor is strong. I would ask him how after he changed the oil, if he changed the tires, if he did a coolant flush, if he change the CCTL, if its the OEM battery, what he did to winterize it. Pretty much just try to find out all the maintenance that has been done.

+1 for OutToWin. Check those things as well. The more you check the better off you are.

Last edited by R Dub; 09-28-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:54 PM

You could always ask him to give you a ride in the passenger lol. Kind of unethical but you don't seem to have many choices.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:27 AM

He and I have been talking via Email, and he said he is 100% confident that the bike is not bent anywhere. He said it'll need and oil change, but the front tire is pretty new. If there are a FEW little things wrong with it, I can fix them over winter. He's a pretty genuine guy to be honest, and he said if it was in that bad of condition he wouldn't be trying to sell it. I'll check all this out tomorrow and i'll take some pictures and maybe you guys can help me out after i post them. You guys are pros in my book.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know how to ride, just ride it. I rode for 3 months without my endorsement, or plates. Just don't do anything stupid to get yourself pulled over. But it sounds like a good deal, will it need brakes, chain and sprockets (replace them all at the same time)(not the brakes), spark plugs, CCT? Thats all routine maintenance ,along with the oil change it needs, will cost about 400 bucks for everything IF you do it yourself. Use that to negotiate, and slap him in the face with 18 crispy Bens (not literally).

Old 09-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Skooby, i've ridden dirtbikes, and i went around the block on dads bmw once, but i've never ridden an f4i before.. i'd rather not dump it before i buy it haha. and i'll try to keep my bens to myself. promise. although it's quite tempting. I'm going tomorrow to look at it. maybe he just wants it gone. his wife is pregnant, and he's refinishing his kitchen. if i buy it now, i can work on it all winter piece by piece. get it winterized, do oil then, and chain, CCT, and sprockets next, if needed. i've still have a few bens left in that bank after i buy so i won't be totally broke haha

Old 09-29-2009, 02:22 PM

That sounds like a good plan Junior.
If you don't feel comfortable riding the motorbike yet, have him turn it on for you at least, and inspect for strange noises as described in a few posts above.

Also ask that he does a few fly-by's in front of you, not too fast, but just so you can hear the engine, and maybe notice anything that might be off to you, try to have him shift through all 6 gears.
Audibly, you might hear something thats off or strange soundin.

Stick to your guns, so far, this sounds like a steal, good luck.

Search this Thread