CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   What did I just pull out of my fuel pump? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/what-did-i-just-pull-out-my-fuel-pump-136105/)

Punk In Drublic 03-28-2012 08:38 PM

What did I just pull out of my fuel pump?

1 Attachment(s)
I bought my 01 f4i last year as a rebuilt title (i'm guessing it used to be a stunt bike by various mods and scratches)

But when I tore the bike down for a winter rebuild, this is what I found when I pulled the fuel pump. I'm not completely familiar with the anatomy of bike pumps, i can hold my own under a car, just don't have much hands on experience with bikes.

Attachment 39983

so i guess my questions are, what the crap is that, how did it get so tangled, and now that i've yanked it all out, is the pump even going to work anymore? is it safe to try?

cobra1000rr 03-28-2012 09:46 PM

that looks like a dam metal brillo pad or some ****, not sure if that is part of a fuel pump or strainer, is it connected or just stuck up in there?

Punk In Drublic 03-28-2012 09:48 PM

maybe the guy who owned it before me had a psycho girlfriend who stuffed it in his gas tank.

and it was kind of connected, i couldn't really tell since it was twisted and tangled around it so bad. like i said, i ripped it all off. i'm not yet ready to fire the bike up, but i wanted to know if i should just get a new pump on order or not.

chambers 03-28-2012 09:53 PM

I guess it's the fuel return filter from looking at a parts diagram and then seeing this CBR 600 F4I FUEL PUMP [55A3] - €100.00 : Bike Breakers, The online shop for Used Motorcycle Parts.

steve0o09 03-28-2012 09:55 PM

mine has that as well, and as far as i know it comes stock? took the pump out and that thing was in there, i also took it out and inspected it thinking the same thing as you. only conclusion i could come up with is to catch in large debris that may clog the small hole into the pump.

i just placed it back in, and made sure it was still covering the little pick up tube.

Punk In Drublic 03-28-2012 10:21 PM

^sweet, i just did the same and hopefully you just saved me some cash!

on to the next item on the list.. sigh.

nrmskate 03-28-2012 10:51 PM

It's normal, don't freak out. As long as it worked before hand I see no reason why It wouldn't work again.. Put that thing back in there

cobra1000rr 03-28-2012 10:54 PM

wow thats one crazy looking pump filter, never seen that before but i have never pulled the fuel pump either.

Punk In Drublic 03-28-2012 11:05 PM

back in it goes. you guys rock.

Zurky 03-29-2012 01:03 AM

yep, just rebuilt my fuel pump about 3 days ago, had the same mess and thought it was a brillo pad myself lol, was just told it was a prefilter so put it back together and worked fine ever since