F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

What are the bolt/rivet sizes for our Fairings.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the bolt/rivet sizes for our Fairings.

I have a set fairings (lower cowl, air vents, and upper cowl) that needs to be installed but I have absolutely no bolts whatsoever. I have the service manual but no where does it indicate what bolts are needed.

Can anyone direct me to the proper size bolts? Also, can they be purchased from any hardware store or would I have to get them direct from a motorcycle speciality shop?

This is for an '02 F4i if it matters.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Default RE: What are the bolt/rivet sizes for our Fairings.

i would try www.bikebolts.com and buy the fairing kit. not only do you get all the screws, but you can get them in any color you want. i have never used them, but i know a few people on here have and ive heard good things from them. hope that helps!
________
Body Science

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:20 AM

bikebolts it is. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:54 PM

if im not mistaken there are different sizes......i found out this weekend

Old 09-11-2007, 12:03 AM

My fairings use something like this:

I hate them! I looked closely at my fairings and the screw holes do not match other 2002 f4i's. How can I use the bolts instead of these plastic fasteners?

Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 AM

yes there are different sizes. the 3 screws per side that hold the upper to the side fairings are 5mm allen head button screws. there are also lots more of these in other places as well. the other screws are 6mm button heads that hold the rest of the side fairings on as well as the top of the tail fairing. then you have some phillips head screws for the front inner v-fairing as well as some of the plastic rivets that HELLA has shown covering various places on the rest of the bike.

HELLA, im not sure how your bolt holes would be off unless something is wrong with your fairings. also, i noticed that when installing my fairings, it helps to just loosely put all the bolts in before tightening them down. some of the holes are a little sloppy and if you tighten one bolt first, it might mis-align the rest of the fairing. that could be your problem too. i use to hate those little plastic rivets as well, but then i bought some new ones after my crash that werent stripped out and the work much better. mine are phillips though. on my brothers new gixxer 750, he has ones where you pop in the center of it and then whole things pulls out. they are pretty cool, i might try to replace the ones on my bike with them.

i hope that answers anyones questions

________
Essential vaaapp vaporizer

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:36 AM

i like this website a lot...

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/frames...mp;parent=5220

when i asked for bolts for my farings at the stealership, the guy brought brought up a program that was almost identical to that website. i reference that site a lot...

Old 09-11-2007, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I emailed bikebolts but haven't received a reply yet. I didn't need the "full fairings" kit BUT I needed more than their "screws only" kit.

At any rate, I'm going through the Ron Ayers website and this is confusing me. The diagram says I need #17 bolts for the side lower cowl but if I cross reference it with the left column, there's three instances of #17 bolts. Which one do I need? All three?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Screw it (no pun intended). I'm just going to buy the complete fairings kit off of bikebolts. [:@]

Old 09-11-2007, 05:41 PM

haha yea sometimes ordering stuff based off of fiche diagrams can be pretty confusing. if you do end up getting the complete fairing kit off bikebolts, can you let us know what all is included? ive never heard exactly which bolts come in the kits for our bikes and am very curious. thanks!
________
Kids depakote

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply: What are the bolt/rivet sizes for our Fairings.