CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   what are the best tirs for street (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/what-best-tirs-street-96271/)

deerslider 06-28-2009 12:24 PM

what are the best tirs for street

hi guys so i just wantedd to no what the best tires are to get for my 02 f4i front tires a 120/70zr(58W) back tire is 180/65zr17 (73w) i'm looking for the best price and brand if any of you could help me out thanks

Zero1080 06-28-2009 01:58 PM

Shinko. I just got them. Great for aggressive street, which I do. And since it always seems like there's construction non stop where I live, they do really well with the dusty roads. They need to get warm before anything too serious, but for the price, they can't be beat. For my front and rear, mounted, installed, and balanced, I paid 380. And they are supposed to last roughly 6k miles, or a season for a rec rider.

DFour 06-28-2009 02:02 PM

pirelli rossos. about as cheap as the rest, excellent wear and lean in.

edit: wear is about the same as most actually.

Aken 06-28-2009 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080 (Post 803305)
Shinko. I just got them. Great for aggressive street, which I do. And since it always seems like there's construction non stop where I live, they do really well with the dusty roads. They need to get warm before anything too serious, but for the price, they can't be beat. For my front and rear, mounted, installed, and balanced, I paid 380. And they are supposed to last roughly 6k miles, or a season for a rec rider.

Shinkos suck, IMO. They're cheap for a reason. The only first-hand account I've heard where they were praised (besides you) was from a drag racer.

And BTW, I paid $340 to have my Pilot Power 2CTs mounted and balanced, so I think you got ripped off somewhere. :(

To the OP, it depends what kind of riding you do. I recommend you search this forum and Google a bit on tires, because the topic has been beaten to death with the same answers every time :)

Zero1080 06-29-2009 03:39 PM

^ The only reason I like them SO far. Is because one of my Pilots developed a slow leak, plus seemed to wear faster. I think tires as well, are only TRULY differentiated in the first couple thousand miles, while they still have lots of tread. IMO. Aken, where'd you go to get that price? I'd like to go.

Aken 06-29-2009 05:12 PM

Local place in Milwaukee.

sdpbob 06-29-2009 05:38 PM

I got my pirelli bought and installed for $245, thats just for rear tire and love it so far.

clemsonf4i 06-29-2009 08:02 PM

Tires are something that's gonna be an opinion only thing. The best tire for you is the one you like best and which one fits your riding style. Lots of people love the Michelin Pilot Powers and the 2CT versions. I've used them and they are a good tire, but I honestly think they're over hyped. As far as Shinko's go, I had a set when I first bought my F4i. They got decent mileage, but didn't have a profile or compound that fit my riding style. Right now I have Pirelli Diablo's and I like them. They have a good sticky compound and a rounded profile. They are great for the mountains up here where I live and work great for commuting to work as well. The Shinko's are a pretty flat profile so they are good for cruising around and drag racing but not for the mountains, well not for me at least. I'm not saying I'm a balls out rider but certain tires didn't work for me or didn't impress me. The only way to know what tires you like are to try them. Yeah it takes time to try different ones especially if you don't ride that much, but it's the only way to figure out what you like. Try things out and ride safe out there.

blazersilv 07-01-2009 08:39 AM

I'm going on my 3rd set of Dunlop Qualifiers. In just 2 years I've put over 16,000 miles on my '03 F4i. They hold up awesome. My front tires usually last around 8K which I'm gettin a new front soon. The rear can last me around 5.5 to 6K. I don't stunt so most of my use is riding the interstate to get me to the nearest back country twisty roads. Also they're great for wet roads. It's just an opinion and no 2 riders are the same. If you want a good comparison go to sportrider.com and check out some articles on the different tires. Good luck