F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Went down today

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went down today

Lowsided coming out a corner, pretty much froze up on the bars and went off the road a little then back on and lowsided. I tumbled behind the bike like a barrel, I was probably doing 40-45mph.

Leathers did their job, just may need to get my jacket worked on as the left shoulder and arm took the brunt of it. I'm ok, twisted my ankle and wrist a bit and have a little scrap on my elbow. The slider did it's job for the most part, left front signal is a little wacky but functional. The swingarm got scrapped up and the alternator cover got a good gash. How thick is the metal on the alternator cover, wondering if I should sand and repaint or replace it?

The bike is for the most part fine, picked it up after I finished rolling behind it, got it outta gear and rolled it off the road to look it over. Everything looked and felt good so I rode her home to clean up. I'm just pissed at myself for freezing up, I know not to do that crap but it just happened so quick. Probably b/c I was trying to work on my hang off and b/c of that I was tight and slow on the bars.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 PM

Sorry to hear that! glad to hear your still mobile lol. Lets see some pics of her wounds!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Glad you are ok man!! I went down similar to you but i was @ a freeway entrance. Bald cold tires are big no no. Never the less, lesson was learned that day.

You're bike doesn't look bad at all, you can get a stator cover for about $49 bucks @ the dealer (at least here in So Cal...). There's a DIY on swapping them out and it aint too hard i say you wait til your next oil change to swap out the stator cover.

Best of luck!

Heres a link to the dealer i went to, i think they ship out across the county. It doesnt hurt to ask!

http://www.honda4u.com/fiche_section...2002&fveh=3051

Last edited by highercal; 02-23-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear you went down but glad you are ok. Don't be too hard on yourself. I always tell people *it could always be worse* & it can! You're still w/ us & learned something, & live to ride another day.

Great that you were wearing your gear & it did its job. Wear it w/ pride...those hard earned battle scars aren't anything to be ashamed of. ;-)

Sorry about the cover. They usually go pretty cheap on ebay/etc. Just replace it when you get a chance. If you can't for awhile, don't worry about it...they're pretty tuff & can take a beating.

Get back on the horse & get going!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 PM

Thanks guys. I'll have to look up the DIY on the stator cover, is it not just a remove and replace?

I was also wondering about leathers when you go down if they're not worn through (no holes) should I worry about any repairs. The only holes I found on my jacket were in the stretch panel on the inside of the forearm.

What about my helmet, I've ordered a cheap one that got a SHARP 5 star rating, but I'm not sure if I should trash my exo-700? It got scraped on the side and forehead a bit, but I don't think it took a hard impact.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 PM

Glad you and your bike are ok. Good gear saves.

The cover replacement is easy. But the stator is bolted to the inside of it. Follow the shop manual on reinstall. But replace it when you can. Same thing happened on my VFR. Outside looked like this. Not too bad...

I didn't discover that the cover had broken inside and was about to let loose a bunch of shrapnel in there. Only a little oil seepage made me take to cover off to inspect it. I found this...

Not a lot of room for extra floaty parts in there.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chambers
I was also wondering about leathers when you go down if they're not worn through (no holes) should I worry about any repairs. The only holes I found on my jacket were in the stretch panel on the inside of the forearm.

What about my helmet, I've ordered a cheap one that got a SHARP 5 star rating, but I'm not sure if I should trash my exo-700? It got scraped on the side and forehead a bit, but I don't think it took a hard impact.
You can keep on wearing your leather gear as long as its not compromised, i.e. torn thru, CE armor dislocated, etc. Just be sure to fully inspect.

As for the damaged helmet... Personally, I'd retire the helmet & replace it. Some helmet companies will let you send it to them for inspection. However, if the helmet proves to be damaged/unsafe, they typically won't send it back. You can always put it up on a shelf as a battle-scar trophy.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by chambers
Thanks guys. I'll have to look up the DIY on the stator cover, is it not just a remove and replace?

Well, essentially, it is just remove and replace, but there's a couple of things you really need to pay attention to when replacing the stator cover.

Here's a link with DYI for the stator cover. It even has good pix so you can see how its done.
Alternator (Stator) Cover Replacement - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

As far as your jacket goes, make sure you check all the padding and armor for cracks or tears. Dont worry about the battle scars, you should rock them hard and proud. I know i do hehe.
As for your helmet, its always good to replace it because depending on the impact, the foam might be compressed which compromises the shell.

Best of luck!

oh btw, what type of frame sliders you using? It seems that your fairing got saved! I want something like that for mine.

Last edited by highercal; 02-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. The only holes in the jacket are small like pinky sized through the stretch panel in the forearm, there are 3 pretty close together. I pulled the armor out and it's fine as far as I can tell, also took the helmet to my local shop for them to look at and they said the foam looks fine. It was a light fall, my shoulder, hip, and ankle seemed to take the brunt w/ only scrapes on the helmet. I've ordered another helmet so maybe the crashed one will just be a back up.

I've sanded the stator cover and swingarm where they were scraped, pretty much to denib the rough spots and put some touch up paint on them.

The frame sliders are the one's you have to cut the fairing to mount and the mound to what I believe is an engine mount. I think it's vortex on the side I went down on, not sure since the PO put them on. Thanks for that link highercal, saved me some cash on the stator cover.

Last edited by chambers; 02-24-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Went down today