CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Went down today... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/went-down-today-101051/)

DBEAU 09-18-2009 05:58 PM

Went down today...

So I went down today but I'm in surprisingly good spirits. Maybe its because my F4i was just a rat bike but the outcome has alot to do with my disposition..

I was coming around a familiar sharp turn that i frequent on my way home from work... I headed into the turn and to be honest I felt like I went in a little too hot but not so bad that I couldn't manage. I wasn't even scraping my feelers. Anyway, the front went out and I slid into the ditch.

I got up, brushed myself off, took a look at my injuring and then the bike... I have a few road scraped on my arm, nothing too bad. My left knee sustained a minor gash, again not hign to major. My helmet never even touched the ground.

After inspecting the bike, I broke my left mirror off and my rear left turn signal. The mirror will have to be replaced but the turn signal was nothing a bit of electrical tape couldnt' fix. I didn't have side fairings on the bike to begin with so thats no worries. However, it seems the frame sliders did their jobs quite well as they seemed to have taken the blunt of the crash. There are a few scratches on the front and rear fairing but no biggy.

As I said, Its a rat bike... Spray painted black... so there should be no problem just repainting it.

I had gotten a new front tire put on recently but I had a good couple hundred miles on it, I didn't think it would still be so slick. Oh well, live and learn.

Anyway, I picked her up, rode her home and here I am. I just wanted to share with you all. Cheers!

Oh, did I mention that this is the first time all summer that I didn't wear my Aplinstars jacket. What luck!!! haha. I guess that just goes to show that you never know when you're going to go down and to always suit up.

Incognito 09-18-2009 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

this is the first time all summer that I didn't wear my Aplinestars jacket. What luck!!!
Murphy's always waiting right around the corner. Glad your not seriously hurt Attachment 60610
Being as that front was still very much new, I'm wondering if there wasn't still sealant present towards the edge of the thread, contributing to the loss of traction.

R Dub 09-18-2009 06:25 PM

Always good to hear that your alright. Its another good lesson into always wear your gear even if it just going down the street. I went down about 100 yards from my house. Gear did a mighty fine job. As for the bike it sounds decent shape. It should be a fairly inexpensive fix that's always good. Hope you heal up nice and quick so you can get right back on it.

markCBR 09-18-2009 08:41 PM

Glad to hear you're okay!

Berto 09-19-2009 05:12 AM

>>I had gotten a new front tire put on recently but I had a good couple hundred miles on it, I didn't think it would still be so slick. Oh well, live and learn. <<

The need to "break-in" tires is pretty much a myth these days. Right out of the box, they are ready to rock. But they do need to be warmed up and maybe yours weren't up temp yet. Takes three or four laps on a track to bring a cold tire up and that's five or six miles, at least.

Could have also been something on the road surface, a little sand or oil.

Just curious, what tire? Same brand front and back? Pressure ok?

--Paul

StreetPower 09-19-2009 04:40 PM

glad you feel alright! this is some experience that came rather cheap!

supersnake83 09-19-2009 09:51 PM

Glad to hear you are okay too and glad to hear this isn't a costly low-side.

JHouse 09-19-2009 10:12 PM

Well, you lived, and now you'll have a scar and a story. Could be worse.

I have just been thinking about this exact situation. I'm always thinking about cornering limits and such, and watching all that racing makes you think grip is there all the time and you'll never have the guts to go too far, so you'll always be ok. But on regular roads, there are going to be patches of stuff you'll never spot like dust, dirt, sand, coolant, oil, Big Mac sauce and no telling what here and there. So you never know.

DBEAU 09-20-2009 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Berto (Post 838791)
>>I had gotten a new front tire put on recently but I had a good couple hundred miles on it, I didn't think it would still be so slick. Oh well, live and learn. <<

The need to "break-in" tires is pretty much a myth these days. Right out of the box, they are ready to rock. But they do need to be warmed up and maybe yours weren't up temp yet. Takes three or four laps on a track to bring a cold tire up and that's five or six miles, at least.

Could have also been something on the road surface, a little sand or oil.

Just curious, what tire? Same brand front and back? Pressure ok?

--Paul

Same tire front and rear... Dunlop Qualifiers. Good tires from what I hear.

Air pressure was about f34/r40 And I had already been on the road for 30 minutes before the spill so I would imagine that they were warm enough...

Again, I take the turn everyday. I've taken it at close to 70mph. This time I was only going maybe 50ish...

I'm still very confused about why this happened. I'm just thankful the bike and myself are in decent shape.

And thanks for everyones help and support, it's much appreciated.

mpz 09-20-2009 06:11 PM

Glad you and the bike are ok