CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Went Down - Bike won't crank now (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/went-down-bike-wont-crank-now-118968/)

knonfs 11-26-2010 02:18 PM

Went Down - Bike won't crank now

Long story short, you can say that I went down last Sat. Was on a ride, I dropped the bike on its side, and I guess the engine cut off on its own. what I do know is that the bike was on its side for a while, with the igntion on. When I finally got back to the bike, there was a red light on on the cluster (and stays on) to the left of the neutral light, and the oil light is blinking. Af first the engine would turn when attempting to start it, but it wouldnt fire. After a few short tries, the engine wouldnt even crank.

To make matters worst, the engine oil glass is showing that its missing half the total amount of oil. So my questions are as follows:

1 - Where did the oil go?
2 - How can I retrieve the error codes?

Not a whole lot of damage to the bike, other than a cracked front fairing (was cracked when I bought the bike, and I used pastic weld on it and I guess it wasn't strong enough); a bend rearset, and a rash rear fairing (that one sucks as hell as it was the only unmolestred OEM fairing on the bike)

jp_greenville13 11-26-2010 06:32 PM

Sounds like maybe it got into the cylinders and hydrolocked?

GDM YO 11-26-2010 06:55 PM

There is oil in the cylinder (s). Pull the plugs out and crank the motor over till all the oil comes out (Through the spark plug holes). It'll then smoke like a MOFO for 20+ miles and will be all better after that.

wizard 11-28-2010 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by knonfs (Post 991395)
2 - How can I retrieve the error codes?

Short out the 2 pin plug using a link, under the left hand rear fairing, near the ECU.

mbison83 12-01-2010 03:32 AM

i hope you are checking the oil level while the bike is not on the kick stand.

knonfs 12-01-2010 06:36 AM

Fellas, thanks for all of your responses. I will be working on the bike this Sat, more info to come soon :)

And no, I am not checking the oil while the bike its on its kick stand LOL!

DetroitF4i 12-01-2010 08:52 AM

Also check the tilt switch and there's something about the headlights having to work for the engine to run.

mbison83 12-01-2010 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by knonfs (Post 992669)

And no, I am not checking the oil while the bike its on its kick stand LOL!

Good. I've said it bc I've done it once and overfilled lol Yes, it was a dumb move ;p lesson learned.

knonfs 12-16-2010 08:46 PM

*** Update ****

Had a chance to work on the bike last Sat, and YUP, cylinder #1 was full of oil. I would say that there was about 1/8 of cup of oil on that chamber. I pulled all of the plugs out, and cranked the engine, and to be honest I wasnt expecting that much oil to come out LOL!

She is back, purrring like she used to :D