F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Went down for the 1st time...AH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went down for the 1st time...AH!

So I went down for the first time on Friday. I was ona loop switching from one freeway to the next. I was going only 20-25 and the next thing I know the rear slides from underneath me and i begin to lowside. It all happened really slowly and I hit the pavement rolled once and slid on my back about a good 10 feet. AsI was sliding I saw my bike sliding towards the gravel about 20 feet from me and stop. I get up instaneously and run off the road. Luckily there were no cars behind or for sure I would have been run over. I pick the bike up and the mirror, right brake lever and theright foot peg broke off. There are scratches all up on the right fairing and rear cowl but nothing major. The bar and frame sliders did an amazing job.

Except for some scuffs on my leather jacket, slight tear on my jeans and bruised egoI was alright. My helmet had no indication of hitting the ground...weird b/c i thought for sure I had hit the ground but I guess I kept my head up for the whole slide. My gloves and boots onlyhad aminor scratch as well.

I looked at the surface of the road and it looks like I slid due to water that dripped from the cars that were in traffic earlier. Its been so hot in Cali these days that every car has their A/C on blast. Looks like I'll be replacing the missing parts soon but how do I check if my forks are bent? I haven't ridden the bike since the accident but it didn't look like from the external damages to the fairings that it would have had a substantial impact to the forks.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Default RE: Went down...AH!

It happens! Good thing you were wearing your gear or that minor fall might have been a little more major. Now you decide, do I ride as is, new fairings or custom paint?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:26 PM

glad you ok maan, I always have my thoughts about those on and off ramps... gravel, oil, water spots, is it normal for me to be thinking of that every single time I hit a corner or am I dam worry bucket lol.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:32 PM

To check your forks, I'd just look down them from the triple and see if they look off. Take it for a test ride and see if it feels any different than before. When I replaced my forks before and test drove, it felt like I was riding on the edge of a knife and was told that the forks were out of line. Loosened them up and twisted them in the desired place and have been riding it since. For the speed you were going, I doubt that you will have any structural damage.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:47 PM

Cool. As soon as I replace thelever and the foot peg I'll take her for a spin. It doesn't look bent from looking down the triple so hopefully I'm good. Funny thing is I was coming back from a person who was looking to purchase the bike. Now I have to fix itbefore putting it up for sale again. I plan to get it double checked ata local honda dealership just to be sure it is mechanically sound.For the most part, the damages are really cosmetic. Is it realistic of me to sell a bike with cosmetic damages? I don't want to spend the money on painting or buying new fairings if I am planning to sell it anyhow.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:11 PM

Usually it takes more than a simple slide to mess up the forks. They'd have to impact something with a fair amount of force. Glad you're alright...and a perfect example of why we wear gear. That same fall could have been a whole lot worse, especially for your back.