F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

welp...time for another '01 f4i won't start thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default welp...time for another '01 f4i won't start thread!

alright...did some searching but going to make this to throw up what i do and don't know and look for some advice. i will continue searching.

story: feb 6th i started up the bike (started as normal) to ride it up the ramp into my moving truck since i was changing jobs. i ratchet strapped it into the truck upright with the stand up and in gear. got to the new place no prob and rolled it out of the truck, put it in the garage. there it sat until today. went to start it, wouldn't start.

headlights come on, reg and brights look full strength. the speedo does its test and the fuel pump primes right up like normal. then it just cranks and cranks and cranks. it sounds like its only air coming out the back though, no backfires or "almost-catches" like its about to turn over. it honestly sounds like the time i forgot to hook the power commander ground wire back up and it just cranked endlessly, however i have checked that.

YES it has gas
YES the fuel pump primes
YES the power commander is hooked up right
it has plenty of coolant

NO i have not checked the fpr, reg/rect, plugs, battery crank voltage
NO i don't think i have any error lights

i have had the bike for almost exactly 2 years with the same battery from the PO, not sure how long he had it. never put it on a charger since i don't winterize my bikes (KS winters...) and just try to ride them occasionally or at least start them up in the garage.

I have read the thread where the guy with the '06 was low on coolant and added coolant and then it started. no dice.

like i said it started normally then sat for like 12 days then it wouldn't start. any ideas? i'm trying to think of things i can try before i start taking it apart...water in the gas? I read in another thread that the injectors won't even fire if the battery has less than 10.8V at cranking...i am contemplating getting a multimeter (i should have one anyway..) and testing it. it might be time for a new battery. would push starting it bypass the fact that the battery might be low on voltage?

thanks all, i will keep searching and update.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I would start by charging the battery. These bikes needs a surpringly good charge to start. One time my old F4i would crank Perry good but wouldn't start. Put the charger on it for a bit and it fired right up.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to RDub and the multi-meter idea, both. With the battery charged you should be
getting 12.8/9-ish volts. When you turn on the ignition it should slowly drop to no less
than about 11.4/5-ish, over about 30 seconds. this is with the meter hooked directly
to the battery. I'd also, just go through looking for a loose connector. Stuff happens
when you move a bike. Doublecheck, depending on how you did the tie-downs, the
3 choke-points of the clutch switch/side-stand switch/neutral indicator switch. Damage
to any of those can cause issues (although that's really a stretch, based on your
description).

Hope you get this quickly sorted out, Ern

Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 PM

If all else fails unplug your pcIII from your harness and plug the stock connectors back in. see if it starts then.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:14 PM

Alright, got a multimeter and measured the battery, it was good to the numbers Madhattr said. I then proceeded to take apart the whole damn thing to get to the PCIII plugs and unplug it, and just put the stock plugs together.

still won't start. i also tried it with it in neutral, clutch in, and kickstand up all at the same time. would that rule out those switches? i am going to look in the service manual for the way to test those.

what now?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this sounds lame, but did you turn the fuel petcock off for shipping and not turn it back on?

Ern

Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
I know this sounds lame, but did you turn the fuel petcock off for shipping and not turn it back on?

Ern
F4i doesn't have one..

Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 PM

update:

threw in a bottle of HEET in case there was water in it and topped it off with gas, took about 2-2.5 gallons, so it wasn't really empty.

battery was getting low from all the cranking so i am going to get a tender/charger and stick that on it.

i checked the clutch switch for continuity since it was the easiest to find but i didn't have the service manual on me and it was getting dark so i will do side stand and neutral switches later.

remember i bypassed the PCIII and it still does the same thing. only thing i can hope is that something simple came unplugged going over a bump when it was strapped into the corner of the moving truck during the drive. side note: my ninja 250 fires right up but i realize it has far fewer electronic components.

anything you guys can think of besides those two switches to check? i remember reading about fuel pressure regulators going bad on these bikes, but not sure if they just go out randomly or not. should i worry about the regulator/rectifier or start freaking out about a valve being stuck open or it jumping timing? thanks again..