F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Well this sucks.... looks like she's gotta go under the knife again

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well this sucks.... looks like she's gotta go under the knife again

Yup yup.... seems my bike has developed a transmission problem in the last month or so. It keeps jumping out of 3rd gear.... after you let off the throttle, then get back on soon as you accelerate again it'll shift back to 2nd. Really annoying! I was hoping that the shift star I replaced a week or two ago would take care of it, and it did seem to help out alot with the new one. But though not as bad as it was, the problem is still there Soooo as I see it, I have no other option than to drop the motor out and split the cases, yank the tranny out and see what's going on. Most likely either worn dogs and/or bent shift fork.

Now I'm debating whether to....
a) tear it apart, find what's causing the problem, and fix just that.... or
b) buy an entire used trans (including shift forks and shift drum) and just replace the whole thing

I can get a used low mileage tranny that appears to be in good shape for about $150-200 which isn't bad at all. I'm not sure yet... with the mileage I'm kinda leaning towards replacing the entire thing. All the other 5 gears shift flawlessly and have no problems at all, it's only 3rd gear. But I would hate to fix 3rd gear and then 5000 miles from now have it happen to another one. I'll have to ponder that for a lil bit.

Kinda bummed that I've gotta do major surgery, but hey I guess I can't complain.... she's gone 116k nearly flawless miles with literally zero major repairs, and never any mechanical stuff except for the CCT. Only a clutch cable, a couple brake rotors, CCT, and a voltage regulator. Really not too bad, all things considered! This will be the first major thing ever done!

Oh well I guess it'll be a good time to do my valve check/adjustment if needed while the motor is out (it's been 16k since the last one), and install the new timing chain that I've had sitting somewhere in my bedroom for about 2 years now, lol. Should make a nice weekend project! I'll be sure and take lots of pics, and maybe even post another how-to Probably won't do it for a lil while though

Old 01-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Well this sucks.... looks like she's gotta go under the knife again

dang. have fun with that. id pick B. but yea, with 116k i wouldnt complain either.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 AM

thirdgen -

hey maybe try asking honda for some help since you're a solid member of their community especially for owning a bike of theirs for so long they mite be able to compensate you in a way.... just a thought

but if you have to go under the knife good luck man! sucks to see the beast be replaced w/ a transplant

Old 01-24-2008, 02:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man that sux, but yea with 116k on it cant complain.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 PM

Post pics of the tranny rebuild and you will be god.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: patman

Post pics of the tranny rebuild and you will be god.
Third- is already a god.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:44 PM

just replace it in whole your old one requires rest!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:50 PM

i would suggest just rebuilding a lot of the engine while you have it apart. i have rebuilt a YZF600R engine and it wasnt that hard, and i know that you are very mechanically inclined so it shouldnt be a problem for you. $200 isnt too much to drop for a new transmission, your other gears are probably getting pretty close to the same condition...

Last edited by axsys; 12-18-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: oodayvidoo

thirdgen -

hey maybe try asking honda for some help since you're a solid member of their community especially for owning a bike of theirs for so long they mite be able to compensate you in a way.... just a thought

but if you have to go under the knife good luck man! sucks to see the beast be replaced w/ a transplant
Yea I was hoping to keep it all original, but hey it happens I guess. I'm not doing anything with the motor though... that will still be completely original, so she'll still have the same heart. Only messing with the trans

Quick Reply: Well this sucks.... looks like she's gotta go under the knife again