CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   weird rattling noise (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/weird-rattling-noise-114495/)

speedyf4i 07-29-2010 09:47 AM

weird rattling noise

hey guys. my bike (02 f4i) is making a weird rattling noise. it sounds like a metal on metal kind of rattling. it happens at idle and while riding. even after i shut the bike off it rattles for a couple more seconds. when it rattles after the engine is shut down it sounds like its coming from the exhaust, but while idling it sounds like its coming from somewhere on the left side. i have a yoshi rs3 slip on. i also replaced the stator cover last year so ill check to make sure the bolts haven't come loose on me or something. is there anything else i should look/check for? thanks for any input.

Sick97SS 07-29-2010 10:15 AM

Rattles after bike is off?

i think we need a video of this....

__Z__ 07-29-2010 10:48 AM

remove your exaust and give it a good saking... Could be you ave somethin in it or that your packing has come loose and ur baffle is rattling... If it's not that then go from there but tats wat ide start with...

F4ith 07-29-2010 12:43 PM

I think I had this problem on my F4i before too. At least the rattling sound when it's off. I've heard that sound for other bikes too so I figured it wasn't a big problem. As for the rattling when you're riding...my guess is the cct lol. That rattling when the bike is off, that I hear, would be too quite to hear while riding. When you say left, do you mean left side when on you're on the bike? Or facing the front of the bike?

speedyf4i 07-29-2010 12:46 PM

left side when on the bike....so did u ever figure out the rattling when the bike shut off, or did u just leave it alone?

Sick97SS 07-29-2010 01:24 PM

There are ONLY 2 things that could make noises after it's off....

1. If you done the air box mod, a few seconds after shutdown you'll hear a buzz that sounds like air escaping a valve. mine did this for about a year after the mod then just stopped, or ateast got so quiet i couldnt hear it anymore

2. If it's over ~225 degrees the fans will run for a few seconds after shutdown (with keys still in)

Am i missing anything?

speedyf4i 07-29-2010 04:38 PM

ive heard this rattling sound, or at least something like it, on some cars before....i really dont know what it is....could it be a loose bolt or something rattling around?

speedyf4i 07-29-2010 04:53 PM

could a drive chain thats out of adjustment cause the rattle at idle?

speedyf4i 07-31-2010 08:12 PM

so i noticed today that if i have my bike leaning to the left, the rattling is from the left side, and if i lean it to the right, the noise comes from the right side. if i stand the bike straight up, the noise is practically gone. does anyone know what this might be, or could it just be a rock or something vibrating around. i do get a lot of vibration from my bike and get numb fingers during long rides.