CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Water pump? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/water-pump-127484/)

ucyifly 06-26-2011 07:53 PM

Water pump?

Got a very small and very, very slow leak coming out of the weep hole on the water pump. I suppose this means the pump is bad. Where is a good place to get a new one?

Kuroshio 06-26-2011 07:59 PM

coolant or oil?

ucyifly 06-26-2011 08:08 PM

100% coolant only. It's only leaking from the weep hole and there is no water/coolant in the oil. Also, it takes like 6 days for the drip to occur. Last time I started it was about 6 days ago. Let it run for 25 minutes while I went over everything checking to make sure everything was good to go. After shutting it off I checked for leaks several times over the next 2 hours. Checked again the next night and a night or two later. Never saw anything until today, 6 days later there is a drop of coolant.

ucyifly 06-27-2011 08:20 PM

So no one here can tell me whether or not there is any place other than the dealer to get a NEW water pump? Only thing I have been able to find is used, and I refuse to install a used pump. I don't want to pay the outrageous price the dealer will charge, but if there is nowhere else available I guess I have no choice.

Kuroshio 06-27-2011 08:36 PM

Motorcycle Parts, Discount Honda Motorcycle, ATV, Watercraft Parts, Honda Accessories, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki Bikes, Polaris Parts - ServiceHonda.com
Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories

But I'm not sure it means the pump is bad just because you have a very slow leak from the weep hole. That's why I didn't respond. Was giving someone else a chance to chime in.

IIRC there is a O-ring and a gasket in the pump. If the O-Ring fails, I know from experience, you'll leak oil from the pump. Dunno about the gasket but it's likely to leak coolant (since it's in the separation of the pump case). I'd spend the $4 for a new gasket and try that before ordering a pump. Especially since it's a slow leak.

Order the gasket, keep an eye on your coolant levels before starting every time while waiting for it's arrival. If it doesn't work, change the pump

ucyifly 06-27-2011 08:47 PM

Thanks for the responses Kuroshio. Like I said though, the leak is coming from the weep hole (inspection hole, whatever you want to call it) and according to the service manual it says that means the mechanical seal is bad and the only solution is to replace the unit.

If the o-ring or gasket was bad, would it not be leaking elsewhere instead of just from the weep hole?

Kuroshio 06-27-2011 09:19 PM

Leaks are funny. When the oring went in my F3 it looked like it was leaking oil from the top of the water pump.

Seriously, which would you rather pay: $4.00 for a gasket or $137.00 for a water pump? I'd rather waste the $4 and a week waiting for delivery

thirdgenlxi 03-31-2013 09:50 PM

If it's leaking coolant out the weep hole, then yes water pump replacement is the only fix as they are not serviceable internally and that would be the shaft seal leaking. The rubber o-ring behind it is an oil seal, not coolant