F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Want to shorten my Carbon Fiber Yoshi...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of this has already been mentioned, but I'll sum up:

Measure twice, and account for how much the tip is going to cover up the end of the pipe.

Tape off with masking tape (place the tape on the side you're keeping).

Cut with a Dremel or similar tool with a small cut-off wheel.

Sand the exposed end to get rid of rough edges. If the tip isn't covering much of the end, you may want to use progressively finer and finer sand paper so you don't see any scratches.

Seal the end with resin.

Sand again as necessary.

Reassemble.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
June 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Lowridese
Well, I guess the cheapest way is to just cut her down...anyone know if we can change the tip of these to something similar to the newer models like the two bros and all? Just curious.
I dont see why it wouldnt work. As long as they are the same diameter

Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM

Wow, that is all I have to say....wasnt really that bad of a job really...figured, added hugger tonight, added new battery...added new brake lines...added oh I mean took away about 8 inches on the yoshi pipe tonight. Looks awesome. Just pulled it in but will clean her up tomorrow and get pictures. Very worth it. The bike is going to be getting painted a pearl white with black and red highlights on her I cant wait. Taking away that grab bar also and getting the holes fiberglassed up.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lowridese
added oh I mean took away about 8 inches on the yoshi
its ok the girls will still like it

Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Totally agree, here are a couple of before and after pics with my new brake lines also. Bike is in the shop right now getting new 520 conversion kit for chain and sprokets...also getting sliders cut for it.

Attached Thumbnails Want to shorten my Carbon Fiber Yoshi...any suggestions?-547.jpg   Want to shorten my Carbon Fiber Yoshi...any suggestions?-665.jpg   Want to shorten my Carbon Fiber Yoshi...any suggestions?-698.jpg   Want to shorten my Carbon Fiber Yoshi...any suggestions?-699.jpg   Want to shorten my Carbon Fiber Yoshi...any suggestions?-700.jpg  

Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 PM
June 2011 ROTM

Looks great!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Thanks!

I just got it painted last year and like the rust orange but for the money I paid I am not happy with the quality. We found a local guy that did a great job painting my buddies, 6 coats of clearcoat and it looks sick. I just am not sure totally what color...have pearl white in mind and red and black highlights somehow. Hmm....cant wait to get her back tonight with 520 conversion kit on it and see how she rides and hope the cuts are good for the sliders.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:23 AM

so how did you end up doing that? just hacksaw it?

what about reconnecting it? resin or superglue?

it's pretty cool cuz we have a lot of the same things on our bikes haha

Old 07-03-2010, 05:28 AM

Looks good

Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 AM

Thanks guys. Yes it was somewhat of a pain in the butt. We had to be careful on cutting the carbon because its not very healthy. But our problem was after we finally got it all cut the part of the pipe that was riveted where the slip on was still had part of the baffle there. We had to then chop parts of that out and break the baffle off. We then had to put it all back together, marked the holes with a marker on the pipe and then drilled them out. Went pretty smooth until the part where we were drilling the rivets out and a bit broke off in the pipe.....so if you ever do something like this dont use cheap bits like I tried at first. We then had to cut and drill at the broken bit until it came out. I am going to take a video today of the bike started and it sounds really good now. Sounded really mean with the pipe off though. I want to go into some type of GP or something though then I can get my spools on properly. I was so upset when I had realized our placement of my spools on the swingarm made a hole in the pipe.

Quick Reply: Want to shorten my Carbon Fiber Yoshi...any suggestions?