CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Want more oomph!?!? 1/6 quick throw throttle mod!! Must see!!!!**** (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/want-more-oomph-1-6-quick-throw-throttle-mod-must-see-132894/)

STIKILLERF4I 12-12-2011 01:07 PM

Want more oomph!?!? 1/6 quick throw throttle mod!! Must see!!!!****

12 Attachment(s)
Ok so this is for everyone who wants to do the Quick Throw Throttle Mod to the f4i but didn’t know how. There was a lot of ambiguity on the internet and none specific to the F4i but here’s a quick run down. Hondas come stock with a 1/4th turn. that’s why you have to really crank the f4i throttle to get power. The Yam r6 comes with a 1/6 turn throttle. Switching out these tubes is effortless and mimics, but doesn’t duplicate the effect of a power commander. This mod is not going to add power but instead help u utilize it better because its going to put you in your power band extremely fast. Its just a game of leverage. It only takes 10 minutes so save the 65 bucks they’d charge you at the shop and DIY! Enjoy

1. First buy yourself a r6 throttle tube part # 01-0094
Attachment 42755

2. Second here are the tools you will need, very simple pliers, flat head screw driver, philips screw driver, wrench, flashlight, allen key
Attachment 42756

3. Third, unscrew the bar end and both screw on the underside of the f4i throttle housing both front and back
Attachment 42757

4. Fourth, ITS IMPORTANT TO CREATE AS MUCH SLACK IN THE CABLES AS POSSIBLE BEFORE REMOVING THEM. use flat head and pliers to pry the throttle cable ends out of the grooves of the tube.once they are out it should look like this.
Attachment 42758
Attachment 42759

5. Fifth, slide new quick throw throttle on. Here they are side by side. Notice difference. R6 on left stock Honda f4i on right
Attachment 42760
Attachment 42761
Attachment 42762

6. DO STEPS 1-5 IN REVERSE!! Same way you took it off it goes on. Believe it or not the f4i throttle housing is large enough to accept the r6 throttle tube with no problems. Its not going to fit exactly at first but play with it and it will fit snugly. At least mine did and I had to do no fabrication. Don’t forget to slide the tube back up the clip-on before re-attaching cables. This is the hard part since the cables will barely fit but give it some play and they will fit securely.

7. Seven, there is one flaw. if you notice, the whole at the bottom of the tube for the bar end screw is too small! Uh oh! So take a drill and bore it out. Or like me, since I was lazy, take a soldering iron and melt the plastic making the hole wider so the screw can fit.
Attachment 42763
Attachment 42764

8. Eighth, screw everything in place back together, tighten everything back down check clearances and adjust the cables using the adjuster nut. Not too tight since the new throttle will already pull them tight. Now slap a grip on it again and your good to go.

Finished product (minus grip)

Attachment 42765

Attachment 42766

STIKILLERF4I 12-12-2011 01:09 PM

Sorry about the pictures i dont know why they arent showing up:(

donnygeewebb 12-12-2011 01:12 PM

If theyre on photobucket just post the link! ;)

highercal 12-12-2011 01:49 PM

Anyone else confirm this?

Kuroshio 12-12-2011 08:09 PM

Well get the pics and if someone can confirm, I'll move this to a How To section :)

My f4i gets to the power band quick enough for me as is :D

madman 12-13-2011 04:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did this a while back and I made absolutely sure it was the biggest throttle aka 1/6 turn. Unfortunately it's hard to tell because different years/models had a different amount of rotation and some manufacturers use more leverage at the other end of the wire (throttle side) and less at the throttle grip side, so a 1/6 throttle on one bike may not be the same on another. Read up on this and you will see that different year r6/r1's had different tubes.

Anyway, I was able to get the 1/6 turn grips on using the stock clip ons and controls after letting out ALL of the slack from the engine/throttle side cable as well as the controls side and even then it was EXTREMELY difficult. The trick is to detach/loosen the clip on so you can get it all mounted up and then you gotta kinda force it all into place but it'll work. When all was said and done I was worried that my throttle would end up slightly open since there was 0 play and there was no adjustment left. Fortunately everything was good to go with 0 play.

Also if you're going to re-use the stock throttle housing, you have to grind out a tab on the underside (there's a link somewhere on this) otherwise the throttle won't fit or will bind once installed. Make sure you use a nice squared off bit so you can shave it down all the way, otherwise you could probably just shave away at it with a knife or something. Just remember to make it really clean and nice - this is your throttle we're talking about! Also if you buy the factory grip, it has a ring on the side of the throttle tube that goes in the housing. This ring MUST go on the OUTSIDE of the housing.

Edit- Read through your post and I would venture to say that you have a 1/5 turn throttle on there (I had one of those white 1/5s on previously and yes they require less to make work). To be honest going from 1/5 to 1/6 felt like a bigger difference than 1/4 to 1/5. The only reason I did this was because at the track while tucked in all the way and banging through gears, I used to find it difficult to go WOT without having to regrip the throttle. For me, this was still happening with the 1/5 tube. Now this is no longer a problem.

So yeah basically all this does is make the throttle open quicker but at the disadvantage that it will be more sensitive. With that being said I recommend it to anyone who has good throttle control.

Compare your throttle tube with the one in this link and you'll see the difference. The process they show for grinding out the tab is similar to what you have to do on the F4i, but there's no way around it or letting out the cables from the engine side (both are super easy to do).

R6 1/6-turn Throttle Tube Install - Lots of pics! : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...kbike-Project.

The last link shows an F4i with 1000RR throttle housing. I think people are not running into cable length issues because the 1000RR housing is smaller/might have a shorter distance to the throttle from where the cable screws in.

Here is a comparison of the tube size for you guys - I want to say 08 is the year you want or maybe 07+ but I'm not 100%
1/6 turn vs 1/4 turn
Attachment 42694
Attachment 42695

1/5 turn vs 1/4 turn
Attachment 42696

knonfs 12-14-2011 05:22 PM

Previously posted part number for the Yamaha R6 tube

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...74/#post916501

causeman8 12-15-2011 07:37 AM

So is there a difference in the r6 and the r6s throttle tube?

coalminer frank 12-15-2011 08:48 PM

I did the Motion Pro R6 throttle mod on my F2. There was an issue with clearance inside the housing with the R6 tube so I took a Dremel to the R6 tube until it matched my stock F2 tube just to the outside of the eyelets where the cables go in. Works great. You can see the difference in the pictures above. I got my R6 tube from Dennis Kirk part #19-3875 is for 03 thru 05 R6, 06 thru 09 R6S and 98 thru 06 R1. $8.99 On a side note I went to the Yamaha dealer and ordered a 07 R6 throttle tube came with grip for $22 to put on my 08 CBR 1000RR.

causeman8 12-16-2011 06:24 AM

Thanks for the reply coalminer frank. So to clear things up part # 19-3875 is 1/6 turn or 1/5 turn? I got confused because it also fits an r1 and I was under the impression that the r1 had a 1/5 turn throttle tube.