F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

A very versatile bike indeed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A very versatile bike indeed!

Hey guys!

I'd like to share with you the memories of last summers' trip around Sweden!
The F4i was not exactly intended as a grand tourer, but i have found it to be great at exactly that! With a few minor adjustments tho...

Some people will no doubt call it an outrage to mount a topbox on a 600cc racer, well, I prefer my sleeping bag and clothes to be dry at the end of the day, no matter the weather, plus it could look a lot worse!

The trip, which is becomming a bit of a tradition, took, as always, place in Sweden, just over the bridge from Denmark. One might argue that Germany which is equally close, has no speed limits on the freeways, the thing is just that Sweden has so many qualities to make up for that:
1. Once you head out on the backroads, you have it all for yourself
2. The Swedes are the nicest people i know, they ALWAYS give way if you are catching up, they simply pull out to the right and let you pass.
3. You may camp everywhere, as long as you dont litter, act like a jerk etc.
4. The nature is just amazing (at least compared to pancake-flat Denmark)

Enough chit chat, check out the pictures!

Above: Our route

Above: Preflight check, maybe i should have checked the rear tyre... more to come

Above: LOTS of rain driving out of Copenhagen, the wet patch on the ground is what was in my gloves... Thank god for GORE-TEX

Above: Beautiful Sweden, not yet all dry though

Above: Pitstop. My friends KTM in the background, great great machine, SO much torque, and lots of fun on dirtroads!

Above: Basecamp, you simply find a field you think would be suitable, if youre a nice person you ask the neighbours if they think it'll be ok to set up camp, or you just do it. We never heard any complaints.

Above: Yours truly with great helmet hair, resting next to a small hydroelectric powerplant

Above: Why you should always check you tires before heading out, then again, the Swedish roads are pretty rough, and we both spent about 3-5mm rubber on the 3500km long trip... Unfortunately this was about 250km from the nearest large town, so we had to set the throttle to turtle for almost a day... The picture is from when we reached the shop

Above: How to change a tire, pretty easy really, the price was, however, reflected in the fact that this was the only motorcycle dealer in 500km's... Again, you learn as long as you live

Above: Another basecamp, nothing beats taking a dive in a fresh water lake after a long day on the road!

Above: A man's gotta eat, right?

Thats about it! I hope you enjoyed the story!

Martin from Denmark

Last edited by DanishF3; 02-14-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Thats a pretty nice trip. How long did it take you? Did you just ride or stop along the way to see things?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 AM

Took a week, we stopped whenever we passed something interesting, but we were there for the winding roads primarily, of which there was A LOT. Great, wide, well paved roads, just snaking their way through the landscape. We spent so much gas hehe

Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

always love seeing logs from extended road trips -- thanks for posting!

Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM

beautiful country.. awesome trip!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! Nice write-up. Sounds like a great trip w/ lots of fun.

What camp stove is in your pics? I've got a small collapsible camping-gaz that still works great after many years of use but I'm always looking at dif options for the future. Did you also use MREs or prepackaged/freeze-dried food as well?

Glad you enjoyed your trip on your F4i. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Hey again

The stove is a primus etapower, we brought some boiling bag dried food, was just a matter of filling it with boiling water, wait ten minutes and presto! Chicken curry was alright, but bring salt!

On the picture we're cooking some burgers, which is nice after a few days of dried food, but the dried food is great when you're on the move...

Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Great post; Inspiring!!! I just bought a bike about a week ago, 99' F4 and this makes me want to take her on a road trip... I'm in Florida, and I'm thinking I'll take her up to Chicago to see family this summer If she's ready and willing of course! Again, great post mate! I can't explain how jealous I am lol

Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by galequin
Great post; Inspiring!!! I just bought a bike about a week ago, 99' F4 and this makes me want to take her on a road trip... I'm in Florida, and I'm thinking I'll take her up to Chicago to see family this summer If she's ready and willing of course! Again, great post mate! I can't explain how jealous I am lol
Just go dude, in '10 i was riding my 95' F3 around Sweden as well, its an adventure! I dont mind riding alone, but its ten times the fun when you travel with a few good friends. We alle have the Interphone F4 system, so we can share the experiences, also when things go wrong (which they just might) its good to have a wingman who can back you up. Oh and bring tools, duct tape and wd40

Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice one! Gotta tag this to read it more thorougly when I get home. Oh, and greetings from Finland!