F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Valve clearance US vs. EU models

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve clearance check

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
They didn't develop a new engine, just cams. That's very easy. And the difference is small.
Ok guys i did a valve clearance check on my cbr600f4i 2006 European version.

The intake average clearance was 0.155mm
The exhaust average clearance was 0.165mm

For comparison the specs of the European Fsport 2001-2003 or the US version is:
Intake 0.20+-0.03mm
exhaust 0.28+-0.03mm

I can tell they are all around the same clearance because the max difference was 0.05mm.​​​​​
Also the clearance need to be bigger in time because of the friction "eating" the metal little by little. So it doesn't make any sense it would be 0.20+-0.03 in the first place.

So after checking it i still don't know where to find the service manual for the European model.

Any help guys?
Thank you for your comments.
​​​​

Old 05-11-2020, 03:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram Zandany
Also the clearance need to be bigger in time because of the friction "eating" the metal little by little. So it doesn't make any sense it would be 0.20+-0.03 in the first place.

​​​​
I'm honestly not sure what your saying here. The specs are for new, perfectly machined valves and seats.
The clearances get closer over time as the valve seat and valves both wear from constantly crashing into each other.
Yours are tight, and need to be set looser going off US specs. Thats the normal way clearances work.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:35 AM

I'm honestly not sure what your saying here. The specs are for new, perfectly machined valves and seats.
The clearances get closer over time as the valve seat and valves both wear from constantly crashing into each other.
Yours are tight, and need to be set looser going off US specs. Thats the normal way clearances work.
Thank you for the response,
You're right it can be smaller,my mistake.
So how can you explain bigger clearances than 0.23mm? What is the mechanical situation going on there?
​​​
​​​​​

Old 05-12-2020, 05:48 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

If the clearance opens up instead of getting smaller, something else is wearing. The shim itself, the bucket, the cam etc. Very rare to the point of not really ever hearing about it.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:31 AM

If the clearance opens up instead of getting smaller, something else is wearing. The shim itself, the bucket, the cam etc. Very rare to the point of not really ever hearing about it.
Strange, there is a valve clearance tutorial on Youtube for the F4i which shows how to measure the clearance and change the shims. In his situation all the clearances were bigger than spec.
I attached the link below.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:24 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

boredandstroked is right.
The valve is sitting cold in the cylinderhead. The shims are directly on top of the valvestem. And over the shims is the valvelifter.
So if we do not take in account the less likely scenario's for example that the steel of the valve suddenly shrinks, I would assume that if the valve clearance is getting bigger the valves might be buisy sooting up. Or the cams wear, or the shims are getting flatter, or de top of the valvestem has a problem or the valve lifter is having issues.