CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Used Spiegler lines - Banjo too long (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/used-spiegler-lines-banjo-too-long-131066/)

madman 09-24-2011 01:49 PM

Used Spiegler lines - Banjo too long

Bought some used Galfer lines and they didn't have a double Banjo so I ordered one from Shindy (1.25 pitch for Honda) and it's too long. It actually looks like the problem is that the thickness of the banjo fitting on the SS lines is too thin compared to stock so when I stack them on the bolt, they come up too short and don't line up. It appears I need to put a bunch of washers in between both lines to get the holes to line up. Will this work? I have heard that stacking washers in front of the MC is okay. I want to make this double banjo work because it has a bleeder on it and there's a trackday tomorrow.

Edit Galfer lines not Spiegler

MadHattr059 09-24-2011 02:46 PM

Those aren't just washers, they are called crush-rings. They are actually a
metal gasket. Always use new ones, if you dis-assemble a joint. Even if
you just tightened it to torque. They are actually compressed, when the
banjo-bolt is tightened. They will only do this properly ONE time. Other-wise
you risk air/fluid leaks. That said...

There should be one crush-ring between each joint. i.e. for a double-hose
connection, you need 3 crush-rings. I do NOT think it is a good idea to
stack multiple crush-rings together. They will not compress correctly, with
the proper torque applied to the banjo-bolt. Thus, compromising the connection.

I would think my cautions, would be especially true on a track, where the stresses
are at sustained peaks.

Ride safe, Ern

madman 09-24-2011 02:48 PM

I made a little spacer with crush washers on each side to work and upon installing lines, I tried to bend one of the fittings a tiny bit so it would fit coming up from under the master and with barely any pressure, it snapped (stooopid) That particular fitting was already pretty corroded (cleaned it up as best I could).

Just gonna put the stock lines back in... anyway I was having an issue @ the track with brake fade as it seemed my pads/calipers were dragging a bit too much on the rotors and I am disassembling and cleaning the calipers.

Guess I'll order another line to replace that one of the same length. Shoulda just ordered new lines with the banjo from the get-go. Hope this saves someone some trouble in the future since obviously Shindy uses the stock banjo size for making their bolts (I didn't know the brand of the lines when I ordered them so I just ordered a generic Honda double banjo from Shindy).

madman 09-24-2011 02:51 PM

Absolutely.

Yeah I know they're crush washers. I'm using new ones. I have heard of people stacking two or so before though and I figured using a hard spacer in between would allow them to make a better seal than against each other directly.

I am just going to scratch this install for now and eventually do it over with a new line and proper banjo bolt from Galfer.

MadHattr059 09-24-2011 03:44 PM

This place has had awesome (for me) service and excellent prices.

I highly recommend them. Summit Racing

Check out their brake parts if you need anything.

Ern